Friday, April 27, 2012

TRUST

Trust is hard to explain, sort of like love.  We all know we want it from others and want to give it to others, yet we find it difficult to fully explain what it is or why we want it, or even how to give it.

What is even more startling is that we often ourselves act in ways that end up eroding it.

Interdependence is a necessary and important part of living, even though trust is not 100% guaranteed.  When I was in Cairo last year, I handed my camera to a stranger to take a picture of Joelene and me.  I did an instant-on-the-spot trust meter scan of the person - it took 3 seconds - even though I didn't really have a clue if he would drop the camera on the sharp rocks or worse, run away with it.  I gave it to him with some degree of uncertainty and with a measurable lack of trust quotient.  (I got the camera back unharmed.)

'Trust is precious and valuable.'

R. Hurley shows some graphs on the percentages of people who say 'most people' can be trusted.  Not very impressive.  He also provides information on the level of trust people have in Congress - in businesses - in the Press - and other organizations.  Dismal and steadily declining.  The one group he doesn't evaluate is the Church.  I wasn't sure whether I was happy or sad that we weren't in the study.  We're on our own to figure that one out, folks.

Trust is way bigger than me crossing my arms and closing my eyes and falling backwards 'hoping' the person behind me who has agreed to catch me WILL catch me.  Trust is precious and valuable.  Organizations and friendships that have a good level of trust and mutual confidence will be rewarded, because research shows that people gravitate toward those who manage trust well.  Where trust is high, members naturally move beyond their more narrow self-interests and commit to higher, greater and more powerful goals.  Within these environments, there is not the continual temptation to self-protect.

We are social beings and trust is critical and central to who we are as humans, if not instinctive to our well-being.

And be blessed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have struggled with trust all my life. I go on what I know has happened rather than what I believe God is capable of doing in the future. Unfortunately there are many errors in my "history." Trust is critical to my well being, but unattainable I find, without forgiveness. We can trust because we can forgive and because we can change. God has shown me that through His transformations of me.