Thursday, April 5, 2012

FOOL

Some days the only word I can use to describe myself is 'fool.'  I know the Bible says we're not supposed to use that word, but I think it's talking about a different thing than I am right now and I'm not sure I can't say it about myself.


When our girls were young, I tried teaching each of them to play the piano (yes, I play - probably above average), with lesser and greater success, depending.  At times, I got frustrated that they weren't picking it up as quickly as I had hoped.  Sometimes I scooted them over on the bench and said: 'It should be played like this,' and then proceeded to 'show her how' in a 20-minute solo.  She got the message - 'You're doing it wrong, wrong, wrong, all wrong.  Do it more like me.'  Bang, bang, bang, bang, bang.

I looked up from my fantasy world to see her fighting back tears; and I realized, too late, what I had done.  I might as well have taken her head in my hands and beat it on the keys.

Fool.


'I wonder how much crushing I've done in my life ... '

J. Fisher says, 'Three simple words will ruin any conversation:  "I know that."'  Most of us get better at this as we mature, exchanging the words for more subtle corrective behavior - a glance - a shake of the head - a rolling of the eyes - a downward look - a stiffened neck - but we still say it plainly and clearly: "I know that." 

I wonder how much crushing I've done in my life - how many heads I've taken in both hands and beat on that way - how many times I've assumed or acted like people knew nothing while I knew everything.

I've been a fool and I hope I never forget those tears forming in the eyes.  I don't want to be one who crushes; I want to lift up.

And be blessed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awww, PK...I can't speak to your piano lessons, but I would never see you as a fool. Sometimes, you are too good to be true, but in the end, that is why I have so much respect for you. Our friendship has had its ups and downs, but you have never crushed my spirit...not once. You are far more tactful than I will ever be...lol. I really cherish our "real" friendship. If you didn't lift my spirits up then I wouldn't have likely been around this long.