Thursday, March 22, 2012

OPINION

I was having a discussion not long ago with some friends over the idea of politics in the pulpit.  There was a predictable variety of opinions on it.  We have had people in our own KFA congregation run for public office a number of times, sometimes for positions that were highly visible and influential.  I'm proud of those who have done so and hope we have more in the future.  I voted for many of them.  I believe Christians should be in the public forum as often as possible, making an influence and a difference for the Kingdom and for our city.

One thing is for sure - light brings hope, and we need it being spread in large doses throughout our city, county, state and country.  When people look up from the routine of everyday life and see a Christ-follower, they should see light.  It should spark hope.

It is perfectly fine for someone in our church to get upset about what is happening politically.  It's OK for him to rally his friends around 'the cause.'  It's what our freedoms guarantee and encourage.

But should I be taking a stand on things?  Of course - and I do.  I like the way Paul says it: 'I want to remind you of the Gospel I preached to you, which you received and on which you have taken your stand.'  (I Corinthians 15:1)

So - like he says - take a stand.  Is abortion wrong?  Yes.  What about homosexuality or the support of Israel?  I'm against it, and for it, respectively.  Capital punishment?  Depends on how you look at it.  How about Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker's deal on collective bargaining or whether you should be Republican or Democrat?  I'll leave you guessing on that.  

Paul says 'take a stand on the Gospel' - but then he goes on to explain what 'the Gospel' is: 'By this Gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the Word I preached to you ... For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins ... that He was buried, that He was raised on the third day ... " (I Corinthians 15:2-4) 
 
So yes - I have political opinions, and it's OK that I have them, but the larger question is not whether or not I have opinions - but as pastor of KFA, is the church stage the place to address them?

For things God has given me authority from His Word to talk about, yes.  Otherwise, absolutely not.  It is not OK for me to make those things a focal point of our weekend gathering.  When pastors take their stand on anything other than the Gospel, we complicate things and narrow the target of whom we can reach.  I don't have authority to teach or preach anything except for what God has given me authority in His Word to teach and preach.  That's it.

I don't mind if you pass around a petition on your own time and in your own space about whatever it is you're against, but if I pass one around the church, I end up alienating some folks who are not far enough along in their faith to understand what is going on.  All they can see is that we're judgmental and 'against' stuff.

When people show up at KFA, very often it is because something is broken in their lives.  Something isn't working.  There is hopelessness.  But as they begin coming and seeing the joy of Christ on the faces of KFA-ers, things begin to change for them.  They discover that Jesus loves them, that He died for them. They hear of the power of the Holy Spirit to transform them.  Over time, they give their lives to Jesus and begin seeing better choices coming out of them as fruit and evidence of the decision to serve Christ. Ultimately they have a friend who is hopeless in ways they used to be and they begin to reach out and invite them to church, thinking - hoping - praying that their friend will experience the same thing they did.  Except on that day, rather than talking about the Kingdom and the Gospel, we're talking about what we don't like and what we're opposed to. And when we talk about some of those things - on a good day - there are about 53% who agree with the stand and 47% who don't.


'That's my opinion but you don't have to agree with it.'


As pastors, when we speak authoritatively about stuff that is 'disputable' in the Bible, we end up firing up the base while making everybody else mad, and so very often injuring those who are new to faith or searching for God.  If the Bible isn't clear on it, then I'm not dragging it into our discussions on the weekend.

So, look for me to share the Gospel and the Kingdom of God when you come on the weekends, and look to be challenged as well as encouraged and given great hope.  Nothing more, nothing less.

That's my opinion but you don't have to agree with it.

And be blessed.

5 comments:

Joyce Cantrell said...

What a great commentary. It just so happened that our pastor got a little into that last Wed night but was very careful. I agree with you, preach the Word and stick to it. That is the TRUTH. otherwise things could be misread.
You are a good man Pastor Kevin and we have always loved you and Jolene. Be blessed. (wish I could hear you play again someday)

Joyce Cantrell said...

Great commentary Pastor Kevin.
Wish we could hear you play piano again some day.

Joyce Cantrell said...

Great commentary. wish w could hear you play piano again someday

Leaderj said...

When you take a stand for the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Well, It does not get more political and personal than that. amen

Anonymous said...

I find this blog most interesting. Politics has long been an interest for me. I have always been a "values" voter, but now I find myself terribly torn as to which way I will vote. My life circumstances have changed and I find that my choice may not be as clear cut as it was before. I know that may not make be as staunch in my beliefs, based on life situation. But I am really unsure when the time comes, how I will vote.

I am definitely pro-life and believe we must stand behind Israel. However, for me personally, my heart goes out to gays. I have several gay friends and someone in my family. Their relationships have lasted far longer than many, many marriages. I know it's not biblical, but I can understand why they want to legally and publically show their love and commitment to one another.

I remember during the last presidental election, that you said, from the pulpit, that Jesus was not a Republican or Democrat. That stuck with me. I agree, the pulpit may not be the place to endorse one candidate or another (although, values tend to dictate that). I really do find your thoughts interesting in this area, though. Part of me wishes you could address this, in particular. It would be extremely interesting.

So, like I said, I am so torn. Morally, I believe in many of the things that the bible teaches, so that seems as if my choice is clear. Then, I have my real-life circumstances. So, it muddies the water for me. I know if I vote my own self-interest, then I believe that I will look myself in the mirror and have lost a little self-respect. I find that very disturbing. Sometimes, I am not sure who I am anymore. I am living in this gray area, with permeable boundaries, depending on my time of life. I used to be much closer to black and white, though never quite there. I find this time in my life pretty unsettling. At any rate, when the time comes, I wonder which way I will vote.