Sunday, January 1, 2012

YOU

The Westminster Catechism, one of the grand doctrinal statements to come out of the English Reformation of the 17th century, says that "the chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever."

Right on.  You exist to worship, praise, love and to make much of God.  That’s why you’re here.  That might make us a little uncomfortable because that’s not where we live.  

Everything in our culture goes another direction ... ‘You’re the point.  It’s about you.  Why shouldn’t you have that?  Why shouldn’t you be thanked?  Why shouldn't you be honored.  You’re entitled.”  Every marketing campaign, even churches -- are built around this philosophy.  “It’s what you deserve.  What do you want?  You can have it.  You’re the point.  You need to be pleased.  You deserve happiness.  God loves you.  He’s for you.  You’re the objective.‘ 

And I want to lovingly tell you ... you’re not.  If we get anything deep into our hearts in 2012, let this be it.  You're not.  In fact, if we look at it Biblically, you’re not even in second place.  God says He's uppermost and then you are to love others better than yourself.  You're bringing home the bronze.  Nothing better than that.  You’re way down the list.  You didn’t even make the cover.  You’re a distant third.


Think how incredibly arrogant it is to say, ‘I’m here for a few seconds in the scope of all eternity and yet, it's about me,' -- or -- 'I know better for me than the One who created all this ... my ideas about purity ... my ideas about marriage ... my ideas about money are better than the One who designed all those things.'

"You exist to worship, praise, love and to make much of God.  That's why you're here."

The love of God toward me as a sinner is not for God to make much of me, it’s Him freeing me to make much of Him.  So when God says, “I’m going to call Kevin Taylor to Myself.  He’s going to be My son.  I’m going to fill Him with the Holy Spirit and he’s going to follow Me,” it’s not God going, “That guy is going to have one prosperous and amazing life, courtesy of Me, Almighty God.”  No, God is freeing me up to make much of Him, because He is the point ... not me ... not you. 

A few years ago in the glory of the Brett Favre years, I had the opportunity to attend a Green Bay Packer game during the regular season at Lambeau Field.  It was my very first time there and I was excited to be in the historic stadium where the Packers play.  We had great seats.  I got the full treatment, including - in all the excitement - a little Miller Lite spilled on me from above and behind.  The Packers won and the place exploded like only Lambeau can.  I was high-fiveing strangers and hugging people I didn’t even know.  It was an electric evening.  I didn’t know I could have that much fun paying twelve dollars for a hotdog.  


But can I tell you what was happening there?  We were simply tapping into this deep, base purpose of our existence, which is worship.  That’s what that was at Lambeau that night.  When you go to that concert and you get that feeling of energy -- buy the t-shirts and gather with other participants to yell and scream at the band and get caught up in this euphoria -- the reason that feels so good is because it’s what you were created for.  The problem is what you’re worshipping continues to fail you.  All that gives way to having to go back to work on Monday morning.  So you have to start looking for another high, another worship opportunity, another experience.  

But what God has enabled me to do by saving me from eternal death is to spend my days making much of Him ... and He never gets old, He never lets me down, He never runs out of areas for me to be amazed at.  If God’s salvation of us is not ultimately about us but rather about setting us free in order to make much of Him, then a billion years from now when we’re in heaven, you and I who are believers will just be scratching the surface of how infinite the glory of God is.
 

Let’s be crystal clear about why we’re here.  I have to get over me.  You have got to get over you.  You’re not the point, and the more you think you are, the more your life will be enslaved. 

But if you’ll get over you, you’ll have a better marriage.  Because when it’s about you, then your spouse is your servant, given to you by God to make everything better for you.  If you’ll get over you, you’ll be a better parent.  It’s not hard to spot the guy whose world is all about him and even whose kids are all about him.  Because when his kids don’t play well, that’s somehow a reflection on him.  And so the volume gets cranked up in the bleachers, and the jabs at the coaches and even at the kids get cranked up.  When you’re the point, you are easily angered and bothered by others.  When you’re the point and somebody cuts you off in traffic, it was always on purpose.  But when you’re not the point, they just didn’t see you.  See how that works? 

But when it’s not about you, you’re free.  When it’s not about you, you get to extend grace.   When it’s not about you, you get to rest.  When it’s not about you, you believe the best.  When it’s not about you, you get to breathe.  When it’s not about you, you sleep better.  When it’s not about you, you’re happier.


We are not here for ourselves.  We’re here to make much of the God who created us.  What a great way to start 2012.

And be blessed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great truth we all need to recapture. I will read it often. It's good focus. It's His meekness being seen in His servant. Buddy Salsman