Monday, January 16, 2012

PERSPECTIVE

Sometimes life doesn't wrap itself up in a nice little package. Sometimes the answer doesn't come when you thought you needed it.  It's late. It's a different answer than you expected.  Sometimes the good guys don't win.

As one young man said, after being injured and requiring several surgeries over several years' time, with many hospital stays, with all kinds of pain and with the chances that life would never be the same - when asked if he thought God had been unfair to him, said: 'Not at all.  The way I figure it, God has all eternity to make it up to me.'

What if we really believed that?  What if that was our default perspective?  I'll confess that I live far too many days without the awareness that I have an eternal home and future.  Discouragement forgets the final destination - that 'no eye has seen, no ear has heard, and no mind has imagined what God has prepared for those who love Him.'  (I Corinthians 2:9)

And be blessed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reminder! My head knows that, but my heart forgets.

Anonymous said...

Though things dont always change...we can hang on to real hope and still have faith that there are miracles that do take place this side of heaven and that God can act in ways that we may not understand or presume. Its true ---we can't always figure it out in this snapshot of life against the backdrop of eternity. Even still, all through the bible, we can see a God who does the impossible. He does want the good guys to win... We do stand together believing in faith wth them. Thats what we are about. He does want us to always hope that things can get better. We have seen things get better... Many things. Thats why we cheer Him on even if others laugh and don't always get it. In the beginning God made a perfect world. Jesus said, "In this world you will have trouble, but take heart, I have overcome the world." (John something) We have to reap consequences from the fall that brought...all the bad things. But Jesus bled and died an innocent death on the cross. That covers all the bad... We do believe...no matter what we experience at the moment... this too shall pass. We have to see Jesus no longer on a cross. "He overcame the world, the flesh, and the devil." He doesn't change. He is Healer still. If He doesn't change it... He WILL use it to make a difference somehow. We have to believe. He knows. He cares. His love never fails.

Anonymous said...

I have had so many times when I was down to the wire on this situation or that. When I was wondering..."What in the world will I do now??" In the final hour, God seems to come in and change my situation and I breathe a sigh of relief. I am sure that many people would find my life somewhat sparse, but I have never gone hungry, I have a home to live in...as you so often remind us...we in the US are among the richest people in the world. Yes, I worry, but when everything is done and the dust settles, I have what I need to live. I seriously do not take that for granted...I am grateful for it all.

I know this is not usual in Christian circles, but I really wonder if I will go to heaven. Right now in my life, I would say no. I wish I could get back the magic and wonder of being in love with Jesus, to the exclusion of all else. There is nothing like being a brand new Christian with all of the hope and promise it offers. I know in relationships, it is normal to go thru ebbs and flows...I want the tide to flow back in and to savor the relationship with God and draw near again.

PK, if you could give advice to someone who has been at the mountaintop with God, but has drifted away...how can I find my way back? What are the most important ways to draw near to Him?