Thursday, December 22, 2011

"Y"

Our three children are all part of what many societicians call Generation Y -- those born between 1985 and 2000 (people from 12 to 27 years old). They also form a significant segment of our church, KFA (www.kenoshafirst.com). Two of our staff pastors fall in this category.

I don't know what words come to mind when I say Generation Y, but many immediately think of 'entitled' and 'self-absorbed,' but I think more of words like 'creative,' 'technically savvy,' 'comfortable with change' and 'downright smart.'

There is no doubt
Generation Y will change the face of the future and the face of the church just as much as their grandparents impacted their own.

They will change it with their sense of loyalty. Time was, loyalty was shown by how long you stuck around and paid your dues --- the older generations still think along these lines.
"Y," on the other hand, says: "I'll show you loyalty by how hard I work and how faithfully I serve/give, not by how long I stick around and do it."

They will change the future with their sense of tech savvy-ness. And not only are they tech savvy -- they're tech dependent. They need it to survive. It is an appendage for them sitting in the auditorium at 6 p.m. during a Saturday evening service.

They will change the future with their sense of teamwork.
"Y" is comfortable spreading the message fast and often - again, often thru social media and communications. A lot of their school work was done in groups or as 'equal' team members. Therefore, "Y"s function naturally and well as team players.

They will change the future with their honesty. It isn't that the rest of us haven't been honest, but "Y"s take it to a new level. They say how they feel when they feel it and are comfortable readily discussing personal information.

They will change the future with their diversity. They don't just embrace it, they expect it. They will have great difficulty understanding why others struggle with issues built around differences.

They will change the future with their views of work vs. life.
"I love my job, but I love my life more" is something you may hear Generation "Y" saying a lot. They will have no problem with work or with working hard -- but their jobs will never be the whole of their identity. They don't want a job, they want a life that hopefully includes a job.

Refreshing.

And be blessed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about the "labels" people put on others...generation Y or anyone. I think it truly comes down to the temperatment of a person. My 2 kids are generation X. One is very business-oriented and married and settled. The other is extremely creative and witty and humorous. Yet, I bore both of them.

They are tech-savvy and I love it! As far as the honesty...I am right there. It is refreshing to let others see who they are. We are all more alike than different.

Julir Harvey said...

Love this blog, PK and thank you - I am guilty of labeling this generation with entitled and self-absorbed. Clearly, they have a different view of life than we do. I also agree with the overall perspective on a work life, versus a life and hopefully finding work -- that alone has made a major dent in my life view as a gen Xer that was always a work aholic! Merry Christmas to you and "Y"ours!
Julie H