Saturday, December 31, 2011

FOCUS

I think people look at the world and look at themselves and imagine that God’s focus must be about them.  They say: ‘The reason everything exists is that God might save me, might rescue me, might help me, might ultimately have children who are mature like me.  That’s the focus of God.’

And they point to the fact that God created us and loves us and provides for us and cares about us and protects us.  They point to those things and go: ‘See?  Isn’t it obvious?  We're the point.  We're what God is after.’ 
 

God is for you, God does love you, God does provide for you, He is a shield around you, Jesus did come to seek and save the lost -- that's you and me -- but there is a motivation behind all that protecting and guiding and loving and saving that goes well beyond you.
 

The beginning of Psalm 23 says: “The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.  He makes me lie down in green pastures.  He leads me beside still waters.  He restores my soul.  He leads me in paths of righteousness ... “ (vss. 1-3)

Now if we just stopped there, you could argue, “Well, there it IS.  He is shepherding us, He is loving us, He is restoring us, He is providing for us, He is leading us ... ’ 

It’s easy to see God’s activity toward us in those verses.  And if that’s all you’re going to read, it really does look like we are the point ... except the reason for His leading and loving and shepherding and providing and restoring is clearer if you read just a few words further in that verse: ‘ ... He restores my soul.  He leads me in paths of righteousness for His Names’s sake.’


AH!  Why does God pursue you?  Why does God shepherd you?  Why does God care for you?  It’s not because of you.  It’s for the sake of His name.  It’s for the praise of His glorious grace. 

"The point and focus of the Bible is God - it's not you."

There’s a college class called Perspectives in World Religion where they unpack what is called 'cat and dog theology.'  A cat goes, “My owner feeds me, cares for me and cleans up after me.  I must be God."  A dog goes, “My owner feeds me, cares for me and cleans up after me.  He must be God.”  Far too many Christ-followers are feline in their theology.  “God loves me and He’s for me - so I must be the point of all His activity.” 


Alas, you are not.  God created you for His glory.  Jesus suffered the final hours of His life for His Father's Glory.  Today, He answers your prayers so God will be glorified.  God forgave our sins for His own sake.  He instructed us to do everything - everything - for His glory.  

The point and focus of the Bible is God; it’s not you.  God is about God.  You’re not here because of you; you’re here for God. 

And be blessed.

No comments: