Monday, December 19, 2011

ABCs

Here are some ABCs of doing ministry in the 21st century ...

A - Authenticity is king.
I don't know how many times I've had someone approach after a weekend message and thank me for just being real. I don't think I'm the 'realest' person on the planet, but people sure seem to connect whenever I open the cracks of those doors.

B - Balance vs. burnout
We're all feeling the pressures of living in a world that is rapidly changing as well as a society where margin is thin. I don't mind wearing out because of a day or week or month that was particularly busy, but I don't want to burn out. Gotta find the rhythm of life that works for me and those dear to me.

C - Community
It's one of our five stated KFA purposes: Authentic Community (also see letter "A"). We are a nation increasingly disconnected and the result is people desperate and struggling for community and belonging.

D - Disciples vs. decisions
The days of hand-counting are done. People are sitting in our church auditorium for weeks and months on end absorbing the Gospel without announcing they've prayed a prayer, raised a hand, or visited a lobby booth for materials. Yet we see hundreds of people continue to be baptized, proof that transformation as well as obedience and discipleship are taking place.

E - Enthusiastic Service before membership
Today, people want to 'test the waters' before making a formal commitment to your organization. They want to know if you're going to accept them first and so they put their toes over the edge of the pool in by serving and participating before diving in all the way.

G - Growth via groups
Personal growth comes in the context of group life, not so much the big weekend gathering, good as that is. For us at KFA, Group Connect has been an answer to get people growing in life groups.

R - Relationship instead of religion
Enough said.

T - Transitions
Everybody is changing - families - organizations - institutions - governments - economies - churches - individuals --- everybody. We need to be sensitive and 'ahead of the curve' of societal change in order to meet the needs screaming at us every day.

It is a very exciting time.

And be blessed.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have touched on so very many issues, but I want to thank you so much for being "REAL". I came from the Catholic church and the priests were above us. I can guarantee they were not riding Harleys. Living a full life is a wonderful testament. Honestly, sometimes I have the hardest time letting go and giving God the reigns in my life. I have this vision of becoming a automoton. The thing is, when I think it thru, you live a rich and full life. I can trust God and let go. Maybe I will truly do that at some point. I still find it difficult.

Anonymous said...

PK...I am sure this thread has dried up, but I have a question for you...you are a control freak...no doubt. Do you have a hard time giving God complete control of your life? I sure do. It is a key part of AA and I have continually struggled with it. I'm not even a type A, either. I am afraid to do it. I want to control my own actions, but it is ruining me. I know that I need Him, but I can't seem to relax and give up the wheel. Is it hard for you, too?

PK's BLOG said...

You call me a control freak and then ask if it's hard for me to give up control? That's kind of what a control freak is, right?

Anonymous said...

LOL...PKKKKKK.....this question is not really about you...ya know? Why can't I give it all up to God? Why am I so afraid? I am afraid I will be a puppet on a string for God....but you're not. YOu have this full life. I don't understand what that kernel of fear is inside of me. It is there, though.

PK's BLOG said...

LOL. Well then try to make a stab at making a comment without mentioning me at all. See if you can do it. I challenge you. :)

Anonymous said...

OK....I am a complete freakily coward in giving it all up to the Ghost. I need to turn the reigns over and I can't. If I do that, then I will have to give up some crucial things. Ultimately, things that are sins and that harm me. As usual, I wish Jesus were here. I can't cope with life on life's terms and it sucks. I know you are not my therapist, but sometimes I treat you that way...sorry. I need someone to talk to.

Is that ok? :)

PK's BLOG said...

LOL. So, you still couldn't do it.