Tuesday, November 15, 2011

QUESTIONS

The body of Christ will sacrifice anything and everything - property, security, tradition, heritage, fame, power - for the sake of Jesus and the Gospel.

To gauge whether or not we're willing to do that, we could ask ourselves some questions:

Are we committed to Jesus or to a particular doctrine or church?
Thriving churches understand nothing is as important as the Gospel.

Do we believe ministry is to make disciples or to make decisions?
Growing churches have let go the energy draining pit of institutional management.

Do we design mission for the needs of the public or the needs of church members?
Healthiest churches help others by equipping them to look beyond themselves and to give life away in the name of Jesus.

"Thriving churches understand nothing is as important as the Gospel."

Do we quickly grasp unexpected opportunities or do we worry about rules and procedures first?
Moving churches minimize rules, even bending and breaking them, if that is what it takes to do the right thing now.

Do we expect newcomers to be accompanied by spiritual guides or do we just wait for them at the door?
Exciting churches never just advertise and wait. They invite and then guide their friends, neighbors and associates along the path of life.

Do we ask for radical commitment or do we expect little from people?
Catalytic churches take the truth of the Kingdom seriously and expect people to strive to live as Christ lived.

And be blessed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is so good to have you back and challenging me to think deeper and stretch my boundaries in my journey.

I have had so many times that I truly strived to be more Christlike. Sometimes I do and other times, I fail. But to love people the way that He did is beyond what my words can express. There have been times when I thought my heart might burst from the incredible love I have felt for another human being. I have always admired Mother Theresa and I imagine she might have had one of the biggest hearts of all. I would strive to be more like her.

I am grateful that, in those times, when I am less than Christlike, that you still accept me. I have had plenty of those, but I have also had many times when I have done well. In those times, I hope that God is proud of me for doing the right thing. To be more selfless is what I long to do.