Tuesday, November 22, 2011

FOLKS

I love the time in church history where we are right now. It is exciting and ever-changing and though it has unique challenges, there has never been a time when God's Hand is moving so powerfully as today.

Admittedly, that has caused some trauma among 'church folks,' of which I am one.

It does not seem that people-on-the-street really want to talk about religion so much these days, though they do want to talk about spirituality. There is a 21st century
interest and passion in the 'spiritual experience' that has not been seen in North America in decades. I know that may jar or annoy or frustrate 'church folks,' of which I am one, who want to talk about correct information and acceptable behavior as definitions for spirituality - but this new crowd wants to talk about spirituality as it relates to daily living - attitudes - heart.

I love that.

These new set of 'folks' also don't want to talk about divine abstractions, but about Jesus. They are no longer satisfied with 'God talk.' The kind of God people used to talk about is too distant for them. The focus on the conversation today is specifically on the hopeful transforming power of God.

For us 'church folks,' that means we have to make the conversation purely and definitively about a Jesus who can touch their lives on a daily basis.

Can it get any better - or easier - than that?

And be blessed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When you speak of spirituality, instead of religion, it brings a book to mind, for me. It's not one you would approve of, but still... The Shack is the book. I am sure it is very simple-minded of me, but it makes God/Jesus so loving and warm and easy to relate to. He would draw me in, no doubt. I know we should see God with reverance, but I need a God who I can warmly and sincerely love. I don't want to be afraid. Oh well, it is just what my heart needs to feel close to the Lord. I doubt that I am alone in needing to feel emotionally close to God.