Monday, November 14, 2011

CALLED OUT

Someone rightly corrected me not long ago in this blog about my wrong usage of 'ekklesia' - rather than a 'gathering' or 'assembly,' I described it as 'called out ones.' Egg on face there. Admittedly.

That said, we ARE 'called out.' Christ-followers in churches that are dying believe the 'called out' part means 'called out' to form a distinct society in which all the members follow certain rules, undertake various institutional responsibilities and enjoy specific privileges. The organization becomes a club to which they can each retreat for personal refreshment and in which their needs can be met by a personal chaplain.

The attitude is usually: 'Let's take care of our members first, then, with any resources left over we'll go after the lost.'

No.

Christ-followers in churches that are growing believe they have been 'called out' to form a distinct witness. This witness is about Jesus, not about their church or their denomination. They see themselves as a community in which the participants all experience a constant connection with Christ and purposely reach out as His body.

We can either become a righteous remnant, retreating into caves and fortresses of elitism, preserving what we understand to be 'good' worship, 'pure' doctrine, 'correct' theology, shutting ourselves in spiritual Masadas, where we eventually choose to die rather than surrender --- OR --- we can become an apostolic witness, following Paul, Silas, Lydia and others like them into public places and personal conversations, sharing a relationship with Jesus that bears the fruits of abundant life, and transform our surrounding culture one conversation at a time.

'Let's take care of our members first, then, with any resources left over, we'll go after the lost.'

Participants in a declining congregation are: Committed to an organization -- managing committees -- preoccupied with raising money -- retiring from church work -- surveying internal needs -- eager to know everybody -- first and foremost loyal to one another -- perpetuating a heritage.

Participants in a thriving congregation are: Committed to Christ -- making disciples -- serving in the world -- pursuing constant personal growth -- sensitizing themselves to community needs -- drawn to the unchurched -- visioning a future.

Pick one.

And be blessed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Christ-followers in churches that are growing believe they have been 'called out' to form a distinct witness. This witness is about Jesus, not about their church or their denomination."

PK, I have found myself over the time I have been at KFA, hoping to get people to come to "my" church...and then, you guys can convince them that Jesus is the only way. I try very hard to be kind and show love to the people I know and see, but I don't see myself as an evangelist so much. I know you will disagree with me, but I don't feel qualified to say things the right way to bring someone to the Lord. I just hope that as I convey my own experiences, it may make them think about it all.

Quite a long time ago, you recommended the book, Just Walk Across the Room by Bill Hybels. I really should re-read it sometime. It's a really good book about this subject.

PK's BLOG said...

It isn't that I don't agree with you -- GOD doesn't. :)
Paul says to Timothy in I Timothy 4 -- "DO THE WORK OF AN EVANGELIST." It wasn't Timothy's gifting or calling, yet God said he was to be one. Same with you and me.

I'll be using "WALK ACROSS THE ROOM" this coming weekend as the basis and background for my message.

Anonymous said...

That is so weird that you are using the book this Sunday. Maybe God is talking to me and reinterating what He wants from me. What are the odds that I would have mentioned the book, at all?

BTW, it's good to have you back and speaking. :)