Monday, October 17, 2011

RAPTURE

For some reason I was yearning for the "good ol' days" today. I'm not sure why. I just get nostalgic that way sometimes.

In the "good ol' days," I used to think Jesus was returning at any time. At several moments, I actually thought He HAD come. One thing I was 100% sure of; you didn't want to miss it.

'I committed my life to Christ at least several times a week just for insurance.'

I remember sitting thru a whole batch of rapture-type movies as a kid:
'A Thief in the Night' (scary, scary), 'A Distant Thunder,' and 'Image of the Beast.' A musician named Larry Norman wrote a song called, 'I Wish We'd All Been Ready' that left you lying awake in your bed at night watching the ceiling, half expected a really loud heavenly trumpet to blast at any second.

I might get up in the middle of the night and tiptoe into my grandma's room to see if she was still there just to make sure I hadn't missed it. I figured if she was in her bed, I was safe.

Because of that, I committed my life to Christ at least several times a week just for insurance.

I still think Jesus could return at any time, but I'm not longing for those "good ol' days" any longer. After that, I am now longing for the grace of the present (and the future).

And be blessed.

3 comments:

Bill Tait said...

Funny thing is......It's much closer now than it was then.

PK's BLOG said...

Yeah! And am way less scared.

Anonymous said...

i remember as a child thinking, "Oh God if you could come right now then I wouldn't have to be grounded!" hahaha. I cannot wait for that day! but in the same breath I really hope to have the time to ensure I am taking as many people with me as possible.