Monday, October 24, 2011

LINE

I will confess that there is one little thing about God I don’t particularly care for. It's probably not kosher to say it, but it seems He is never quite on time. Have you noticed that He just always seems to be running a little late?

That’s one of my personal pet peeves --- people who are always late. I understand it happens to everybody once in a while. I mean, if one meeting runs long and it makes you late for the next meeting, I get that.

Sometimes there’s a line in the bathroom. I mean, not in the men’s bathroom. We don’t have lines. But I understand that sometimes the women’s bathroom has a line. At least I hope that’s true - otherwise all of us men have bought into a very big lie, because this seems to be an acceptable excuse used by most wome
n ... they’ll come out and say: There was a line in the bathroom.’ And we just take that as Gospel. But I’ll just be honest: I am skeptical.

I don’t know if all you men out there realize this or not, but I’ve been told there are spacious lobby areas in a lot of women’s bathrooms … they have couches and actual furniture in there. We don’t have that. Where we go, if you want to sit down, you’re not going to be sitting on a couch, if you know what I mean.

But we stand outside waiting for our ladies and we say to each other: ‘Well, must be a line.’ And if there really is, I guess running a little late because of the line is acceptable.

Sometimes you get stuck in really busy traffic - or you’re at a train crossing so you’re late to an appointment -- acceptable excuses. That’s life. Sometimes you’re late.

But there are certain things you just show up on time for. There are significant events you don’t want to be late for. And as you read through Scripture, it just seems that God was often running a little behind.

Sarah is promised a baby - but it doesn’t happen for decades.
Leah wants her husband Jacob to love her - but it doesn’t seem he’s ever going to.
Joseph is falsely accused of a crime and thrown into prison - for years and years.
Moses spends forty years shepherding in the desert while his people continue being abused by the Egyptians.

God, You seem to be running a little late. The answer and solution and deliverance all should have happened a long time ago. As you read through Scripture, you’ll find example after example. Actually, the real challenge is to find an example of someone in Scripture who didn’t have to wait on God. It seems to be pretty standard in people who are doing God’s will --- they had to wait.

If you want to be found in the perfect will of God, you just may have to spend some time waiting as well.

And be blessed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had a friend that once said "God is never late. He is always on time. But......He sure has scared me a few times." It is so hard to wait and at times it brings out bitterness and anxieity if we don't keep our focus. Thanks for the post.

Toby Mueller