Sunday, September 18, 2011

BIRTHDAY

I’ll admit I’m having a birthday later this week. No gifts, please. I’m OK with getting older these days. I still make a big ridiculous ruckus about it to people like I really do care, but it’s just to throw them off kilter - I’ve actually come to terms with it.

The only thing is - it happens to you a lot earlier than you think it will - getting older, I mean. I’m discovering there are actually a lot of positive things about it. I’ll write a blog about that when I think of what they are.

I know this ... my sleep schedule has changed. I’m waking up these days at least by 6 a.m. unassisted. I never used to do that. Time was I could sleep till noon with the neighbor jackhammering his driveway and I'd ‘zzzzz’ right thru it. Not now. I don’t even need to set an alarm as long as I don’t want to get up before sunrise.

My diet has changed as well. When I was 22, the word ‘diet’ was a word people who wanted to lose weight used. He wanted to be thinner so he’d go on a diet. She wanted to fit in her summer swimming suit so she’d go on a diet. My young metabolism was a beauty to behold, so I never thought much about diet. I’m the guy who would eat seven HoHos followed by a small bag of Oreos topped off with three S’Mores - before breakfast. My grandmother used to make me a nightly 9 p.m. chocolate shake just before bed and I’d sleep like a baby - till noon the next day - and wake up as skinny as the day before. A diet is what overweight people went on.

These days ‘diet’ refers to every last morsel I let past my lips. I have to eat right and work out just to break even. I confess I made a whole sermon out of eating ten tacos at one sitting last year, but it was all for show - even though I really did do it. But I lost my lunch two days later.

When I was younger, ‘joint’ was the place down the street that I wasn’t supposed to ever go into - flim flam types frequented ‘joints.’ Fifteen years later, ‘joints’ were something completely different. People rolled them. Today, I’m realizing I actually have joints. When I wake up in the morning - by sunrise - some days I think, ‘Wow, it can’t be that thing I did yesterday. I’ve been doing that for years, so it can’t be that.’ There’s a grimace in your joints. As D. O'Brien says: 'Your joints used to be your friend, but now they’ve turned against you. Twenty years ago if I told my doctor that I had a sharp pain he’d say: ‘We’d better see what that’s about and do something to fix that.’ Now he says: ‘Well, that’s just life.

So I’m having a birthday this coming week. Kind of proud of it. Yep. Don’t really care. Don’t care that I’m getting a little older. Not at all. Not one bit. I’m going to bed now. Sunrise come early.

And be blessed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Things that are old that I love:
1. Old comfy sweater..and there is no shape to that...

2. "That Old type of Rock n Roll."
3. Black and white movies...oldies but goodies.
4. The Bible...most compressed words of truth ever!
In comparison to eternity, you are waaaaay young. But some things are great even when they get old. :) Happy Birthday! It is good you are a year older, because I would never have heard you preach if you weren't.

Anonymous said...

Son, enjoy your day on Friday, and eat all the CHOCOLATE you can get your hands on. I wish every parent could have a child like you. You were the pride and joy of your grandmother, and are pretty much my pride and joy also.
Love you much, and again have a
great day, (every day) not just on your birthday.

Love ya

MOM

PK's BLOG said...

THANKS MOM!!!