Monday, August 15, 2011

ELBOW


Sometimes I think people believe church work - pastoring - is easy.

Every now and then I get a sharp elbow in my ribs by someone who suggests:

‘You guys have it so easy. You only really work one day a week (Sunday).’

‘What do you do all day long?’

‘Do you just pray and read the Bible all day until your phone rings?’

Stuff like that.

I admit those kinds of comments make me want to hurt somebody bad. Just kidding - kind of - not really.

Truth is, church work can be as grueling as any job anywhere. But I wouldn’t be doing it if that’s all it was. It’s also fun and rewarding.

But just for the record, here is a partial list of the not-so-fun-stuff:

#1 – Teaching a message on tithing with a bunch of first-time guests in the house - like this past Sunday.
#2 – Counseling a couple when one of them doesn’t want to be there.
#3 – Dealing with church people who don’t get it or refuse to get it.
#4 – Having to say ‘no.’
#5 – Feeling forced to say ‘yes.‘
#6 – Feeling you have to be ‘on’ all the time - at a party, at the grocery store, at the gym ...
#7 – Staff conflict.
#8 – Feeling like you have to top last weekend’s message the following weekend.
#9 – Stress on the entire family.
#10 – People’s expectations.

That said - it’s the best job in the world.

And be blessed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have seen you in action....rushing 100 mph from one appt to the next. No, I do not think your calling is a piece of cake, at all. If the church had 100 people, that may be different....lol. Our church is huge, though. I know I would have very hardest part being in a fishbowl and being watched all of the time. I truly believe that you and Joelene are admirable. Can you please send some of that spunk this direction...lol.

Joanna said...

I have to say, you are sooo needed! In my life and my husbands life! We have only sort of known you as our pastor for 6 months. And you have changed us forever! I cannot even begin to tell you how much we are so thankful for you! and your sermon about tithing was just the cherry on top! Thank you!!!! We love KFA and much of that is because of your words from God for us!