Wednesday, August 17, 2011

DOWNHILL

It ain't even close to being over.

I just did a funeral today for a woman who lived to be 103. My own grandmother passed away a couple of years ago at age 96. Her mother, my great-grandmother, lived to be just two months shy of 110. (That means I'm never gonna die.)

But one of the most pervasive and cynical lies of our time is that all the good stuff comes in the first half of life - that after you reach a certain age it's all downhill.

I reject that.

A life of safety? That's no life, no matter what you do for a living, even though we are pre-programmed to 'save up for retirement' and 'remove all the risk.' In societies where people more routinely live to 100 and above - some of the Asian countries - there is no special treatment. They continue working, tending fields and keeping shop right up until the day they die at 100-plus. I am convinced that God didn't invent old age.

B. Larson said: "Death is a gift, but old age is man's invention."

Methuselah - 969? (Genesis 5:27)
Jared - 962? (Genesis 5:20)
Noah - 950? (Genesis 9:29)
Good ol' Adam? - 930 (Genesis 5:5)
Seth - 912? (Genesis 5:8)

Tell me you're old now.

And be blessed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

message heard...loud and clear!

Anonymous said...

I just turned 50 two days ago. The absolute truth is, I don't feel 50. I feel 35. That is a far cry from 100+ or 900+. Good grief! This post is at a good time for me.

Joanna said...

I totally agree!!!! I read a book about Lou Zamperini who is more that just a war veteran. He is still alive and truely living! And he started skateboarding at the age of 80! I can't even skateboard. and I am still in my 20's. :) Maybe my balance will get better with age. :)