Thursday, August 11, 2011

CAFE

I love my job and the calling God has placed on my life and the setting He has put me in, but I spent some time with my computer at a local cafe today. I wasn't drinking coffee -- oh, I had a smoothie-type thing -- I didn't take up space at one of their cafe tables and mooch the seat without buying anything --- but I wasn't at the office for a couple of hours today.

Sometimes I need to get out of there. Just get away without getting way away.

I’m always amazed whenever I see someone from church at the mall or at a restaurant or like I did today at the cafe and the first question they ask me is, “What are you doing here?”

I know it’s because they don’t expect to see me there, but yes, I eat and buy clothes and drink smoothies, too.

Jesus was the kind of person that no one was ever surprised when He showed up somewhere. I sometimes wonder if we have gotten so lost in the church world that we’ve lost touch with reality.

I sometimes go to one of the cafes way downtown and sit and work for awhile. (If you see me there, please say "HI.") I like sitting there and eavesdropping on 'normal conversation.' It's very enlightening - and the experience rejuvenates me.

It just makes sense. Why not go where people are if you are going to talk to people? If you only surround yourself with books, you start sounding like a book.

But anyway, I need to end this or I’m going to be late getting to the office …

And be blessed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would also recommend the beaches. I find being at the end of the earth special. I guess that's why Jesus walked along the sea of Galilee. Even after the resurrection he was spotted sitting along the seashore.

Is there a single scripture that puts Jesus in the office...??? Nope!

Anonymous said...

Lol....I remember once being at work and you came in to have something done on your watch. When you saw me, you said.."Oh it's you." Where else was I supposed to be? Hello PK...I work there. It's not JUST pastors. :)