Monday, July 25, 2011

QUIT


Just quit. Admit defeat. Throw in the towel. Why keep at this if it’s wrecking your life?

That’s what the first century believers were asking themselves. For them, following Jesus was not a great career move. Following Jesus didn’t expand their friendships -- it didn’t enhance their reputations -- it didn’t help their opportunities -- it didn’t make anybody popular or more influential. In fact, it had the opposite effect. It turned them into outsiders - oddities - targets of ridicule and abuse. It strained their relationships with family members outside the faith -- it negatively impacted old friendships -- the government turned against them. They couldn’t keep jobs. Everywhere they looked, people were against them.


So why didn’t they just quit?


Here’s the weird thing about perseverance - it only works and it only makes sense if you’re heading in the right direction. If you’re not heading in the right direction, you’re a moron to keep going. But if you are heading in the right direction, you’re foolish to quit, no matter how hard the journey might seem or feel or be. If you’ve found the one road that leads to life, press in with true grit and stay the course.


If you’re walking toward nothing -- if you’re fighting for no clear purpose, then quit. But if the road leads home, never give up.


Over the years I have seen a lot of people who just wanted to give up. And if that happens to be you, I would say to you: ‘Where did you think this road you were on was leading?’ If it’s not leading to a place you ultimately want to be in the end, then by all means quit. Don’t let me talk you out of it. You would be right to quit.


But what if this is the only road home?


That’s really the main and only question: Do you believe you are on the right course or not? If you believe you are, stay the course. The only thing is: you’ll need to persevere -- because nothing matters if you don’t finish well.


Don’t give up; stay the course.


And be blessed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful sermon...when you were speaking, it was if it was God speaking right to my heart. I know many people take things of their own from the messages, but this was so appropriate and just what I needed to hear. I am not quitting. When I fall or fail, I am just going to pick myself up and do the things I need to do to succeed. The road I am on is a long one, but I definitely know it's the right one. I am heading more in the direction that God wants me to be and it feels good!