Tuesday, July 12, 2011

NOBODY

I don't know if you ever feel like a nobody. I think all my life I have. That isn't a sob story or a goad to get you to say something nice about me -- it's just the basic truth. I've come to terms with my 'nobody-ness' now, but I will admit it has been a force to deal with along the way.

We live in a culture super-soaked with superstars. Everywhere we turn we are faced with images of professionals ---- athletes - actors - scientists - politicians - celebrities - famous people - VIPs.

There is a story told about Billy Graham and one of his occasional associates, Leighton Ford. Ford was speaking at an open-air crusade in Halifax, Nova Scotia and Graham would be following him to the microphone the next evening. Graham had actually arrived a day early and at that night's crusade, was sitting in the back on the grass, unrecognized with his sunglasses and hat.

Just in front of him was an elderly gentleman who seemed to be listening intently. When Ford came to the conclusion of his message and invited people forward for a commitment, Graham decided to do a little one-on-one evangelism. He tapped the man on the shoulder and asked, 'Would you like to accept Christ? I'll be glad to walk down the aisle with you if you want to.' To which the gentleman replied, 'No, I think I'll wait till the big gun comes tomorrow night.'

There is at least part of that illustration which should sadden us - that a 'big gun' mentality has spread even into moments such as faith commitments.

Sometimes I say things on the blog that get me in trouble. I don't welcome that or hope for it, but I try not to shy away from it when I feel passionately (which is nearly always). There are times, standing down front at our church to pray for people, when there are a dozen people on either side of me also waiting to pray for needs -- God-warriors all -- and sometimes I see a line backed up in front of me while other prayer team members are standing solo. I know some of that is born out of relationship -- but more times than not, I get a sense that people think my prayer as a proverbial 'big gun' might be more effective than the guy down three to the left. So not true.

We're in the presence of God. Who needs 'guns' any bigger than that?

Where is it written that a person must be famous, spectacularly talented, brilliantly wise or amazingly beautiful to lead a passionate, effective, turned-on life for Jesus? Did those former things characterize the disciples of Jesus? Certainly not. They were nobodies. Peasants -- fisherman -- accountants -- yet Jesus chose them and empowered them to take the Gospel everywhere.

First Corinthians 1:26 makes it clear: 'You see your calling, brothers, that not many are wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called. Wow.' (I actually added the 'Wow.')

You and me -- we are the chosen nobodies.

And be blessed.

No comments: