Friday, July 29, 2011

LEVITICUS


Feel free to take the poll under our pic at above right.

I love the book of Leviticus. I love it primarily because I don't totally understand it all. Yes, I'm admitting that. Is it bad that I just did that? Maybe.

But this I know: there's a lot of truth in there for us.

I would love it to be part of our church's (www.kenoshafirst.com) DNA that we assume there is something in every single text for us, no matter how obsolete it might feel - even those texts that make no sense the first (or fourth) time we read them -- especially those texts.

It's probably just my personal weirdness, but it's always been those odder places in the Bible that I have found most compelling. I have come to approach them with the assumption that there is more there than I realize.

As one author says, maybe we need to start asking when we read: 'What is the truth behind the truth?' So when we're talking about tithing, we're really talking about generosity and participation. And if we're talking about generosity and participation, then we're really talking about either the world as meagerness or the world as governed by a powerful Triune God.

Do you believe God made the universe as a place where you grab for your slice of the pie and then guard it fiercely? Or do you believe at the core that there is an endless, loving, self-sacrificing community of God we are invited to step into?

It's the truth behind the truth - and it is found on every page of Leviticus and the other 65 books.

And be blessed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lol...I was so excited to go to church that I kept thinking it was Sunday. I was all ready to go and remembered it was Sat. :) SO, I have never read Leviticus, so this a perfect time.

Your reference to the community of God as being endless, loving and self-sacrificing...it made me think of before, when I was so much more giving of my time, my money and being a light for the others in my life.

God, KFA and you have given me so much to be thankful for. I have been given a new start in my life and I want to be more generous, because I am so grateful. That will include serving again. Thanks PK!

Elizabeth Bloodworth said...

I couldn't wait to see what you had to say about Leviticus because I share your same love for it & and of course lack of understanding. I can't tell you how many times when I'v been studying to teach that I end up in the book of Leviticus! I'm sure it is a hidden gem!!
Elizabeth