Saturday, July 16, 2011

GOOD

I'm going to partially borrow from M. Driscoll today in his writing about 'Ten Things Good Pastors Say.' I've said a lot of these, but some of them I need to say more often.

1. Please Forgive Me

It's better than "I'm sorry," which can often be followed with an "if" or a "but." These words indicate a humble heart.

2. You're Right

Good pastors know they're not always/usually the smartest, most "spiritual" person in the room. They are zealous to give credit and acknowledge, achievement and intelligence, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it encourages and empowers others.

3. You're Wrong

Bad pastors chicken out when it comes to calling out people on sin or Biblical ignorance. Good pastors brave conflict and hurt feelings and say, "You're wrong," in gentle but firm ways, when necessary.

4. Jesus Loves You

Why did we stop saying this? I think because it became cliché. I'd love to see a recovery of the art of "Jesus loves you."

5. I Love You

I think one reason we stopped saying "Jesus loves you" to people is because we don't really love them ourselves. Telling people you love them is a reminder to them and to you that sacrificial love is your calling.

6. Me Too

These might be the most important words in pastoral counseling. Bad pastors trade regularly in "Not me." In the pulpit and in the office, bad pastors set themselves apart from their congregations with tales of adventure, spirituality, and personal holiness. In the pulpit and in the office, good pastors talk of sin and trials and utter ineptitude and say, "Me too." I have seen entire countenances change when I've said some variation of "Me too."

7. Any Time

Of course you don't mean it literally. But you kind of do. Good pastors are available.

8. Thank You

Bad pastors think they're owed. Good pastors know everything is a gift.

9. Grace is True

Good pastors take the opportunity to glorify God by talking up His amazing grace every chance they get. Bad pastors may say grace is true but the context of their teaching and the expectations in their leadership say, "Your works must be this high to ride this ride."

10. You're Approved

Be a good news pastor. Bad pastors beat their people up with their failures. Bad pastors are always disappointed. Good pastors know grace is true and Jesus is Lord, so they are ready to challenge every self-despairing soul with the wonderful truth that in Christ we are approved by God.

I think I'm pretty good at #1, 2, 3, 6 & 8 -- but I could be a whole lot better at #4, 5 & 10.

What about you?

And be blessed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this list! There are many points, but I am going to focus on one. Number 6..Me, too. I love when you show the ways we all are similiar, instead of how you are a cut above us. It has always made you easy to relate to, accessible.

I suppose on the down side, Many times I treat you like "one of the guys". I know we are supposed to respect and defer to authority, but it is hard to put that genie back in the bottle. I just don't think I can go from joking with you, telling you about deep issues and seeing you as a terrific person, a little like me.....TO bowing down and kissing your ring finger, like the Pope. It's too late. I just like treating you like PK...someone that I am comfortable with, yet respect immensely.

Anonymous said...

PK, I have some time this afternoon to respond a bit more. This time, I would like to address number 10...You are approved.

It is one you acknowledge you want to work on more. This has been a bone of contention between us forever...lol. You are being consistent in your answers, biblically...that's good.

Then, my shaky self-esteem wishes you would say...yes, you need to focus on "this", but you are doing "these" things right. The old saying...a little sugar goes farther than vinegar.

I know that for a long time, I have been consistently talking in your ear about this topic. I can be terribly insecure and when I am told by people of influence that I have potential, it gives me wings. Just food for thought...