Tuesday, July 19, 2011

GOAL

Here is the goal of your every day life as presented by J.C. Ryle, who was the first Anglican bishop of Liverpool, England a few generations ago:

'A zealous man in religion is preeminently a man of one thing ... he sees only one thing, he cares for one thing, he lives for one thing, he is swallowed up for one thing; and that one thing is to please God. Whether he lives, or whether he dies, whether he has health, or whether he has sickness, whether he is rich, or whether he is poor, whether he pleases man, or whether he gives offense, whether he is thought wise, or whether he is foolish, whether he gets honor, or whether he gets shame, for all this ... the man cares nothing at all. He burns for one thing; and that one thing is to please God and to advance God's glory.'

Maybe a primer from the year 1538 says it as good as anything could:

'God be in my head,
and in my understanding,
God be in mine eyes
and in my looking.
God be in my mouth
and in my speaking.
God be in my heart
and in my thinking.
God be at my end
and at my departing.

And be blessed.

No comments: