Wednesday, July 13, 2011

BARBIE


We tend to listen to the world over listening to God. If somebody continually calls you a loser, you may soon begin to wonder if it might be true, even though you don't really think it's true, and even though you know God doesn't call you that.

Conversely, if your mom and dad always called you 'Gorgeous,' you probably grew up seeing yourself as attractive, even though maybe you could stop a train with that face. And if a parent nicknamed you 'Dummy' (do parents do that?), well --- I probably don't need to tell anybody what that would do to a child growing up. That kind of influence extends to other important adults in your life -- teachers, relatives, coaches, pastors.

Culture had something to do with that, too. Barbie dolls were slender, blond, blue-eyed ultra-proportioned 'ideals.' If you were chubby with frizzy brown hair, you were automatically 'less than ideal from the get-go.'

Maybe church contributed to that as well. If the emphasis was more on sin than on grace, you may have matured viewing yourself as a 'worthless sinner' more than a 'sinner saved by God's grace.'

So now, you carry a mental photo of yourself everywhere you go - except it may be a false and distorted photo. Probably is. So when your hubby says, 'You're beautiful,' you compare that unfavorably with the photo you're carrying in your mind's eye which is, 'No, I'm chubby with frizzy brown hair.' If she says, 'Honey, you're such a wise man,' you internally dismiss it because you know you're a moron, according to the picture you're carrying of yourself.

And when God speaks to you about something exciting, promise-filled, passionate -- you're pretty doggone sure He's talking to the guy next to you.

May I remind you on July 13th that:

God created you in His image ...

God loves you as His child ...

You are eternally lovable ...

God gave up His Son to reconcile you to Himself ...

If that is true, and if you were worth such an expensive ransom, you are infinitely valuable ...

You may not be the most talented person in the room, but God has gifted you to be His light in the world ...

If He is ready to entrust that kind of responsibility to you, you must be thoroughly competent.

Go get 'em.

And be blessed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so true. I grew up going to church 4 - 5 times a week. The main topic: sin. How unworthy we are, how even having an impure thought can send you to hell. I always felt like I was wrong. Like I didn't belong. I was uncomfortable being in God's house. I wasn't perfect and daily made mistakes. I always felt guilty. Eventually I gave up I was tired of the guilt. To this day its hard to get rid of that feeling of not being "good enough" to be in God's church. How does one get rid of that?

Anonymous said...

So true, I was called "meat head", dummy, hey stupid etc. I never believed I was worthy of any good. Then came along "Jesus" who has been so discriptive of how much he loves each of us and no one person is better or prettier or etc. Since the day I gave myself to Jesus, I thank him every day for all the talks and walks we have 24/7.... My challenge today, others poking at you and proclaiming they are a believer. We are to build each other up not down, pick each other up not walk pass, love one another as he loves us. Love to me means: fruit of the spirit attitude and continue to do what is right in the Lord's eyes. No one gets a pass on name calling that doesn't represent love. So who do we bank on? Jesus, his truth is the promise forever.

Anonymous said...

Anon 1:

I have sinned so many times. Even when I felt the conviction of the Holy Spirit. I did things that I knew were not what God wanted. I've still felt the presence of God, in a physical way, when I prayed.

I think one thing that has helped me is to know that Jesus spent His time with people just like us. Not with the ones who already thought they were perfect, because they followed the law. He wants a relationship with us. As with all relationships, sometimes it will be wonderful and sometimes it won't, but He is still there with us.

I do understand how you feel about belonging in the church, though. I've felt the same way. We do belong, though. It is God's house, not man's.

Tristine Fleming said...

Beautiful. Gifted. Uplifting. Signed, "The chubby, frizzy brown haired girl." (Gratefully, not Barbie!)