Tuesday, June 28, 2011

BLINDSPOT


Last week I was driving along the interstate in lower Michigan -- moving along in the far right lane going at least 65 (but not one mph faster), and I promise you, before changing lanes, I looked over my left shoulder. Seeing nothing, I began to move into the left lane when a Gold Wing motorcycle veered away from me within feet of being hit. My nerves were rattled for a couple of minutes thinking about the 'what if' of that whole scenario and also because I knew I had clearly glanced over my shoulder to check my blind spot -- but I still missed him -- which is why they call it a blind spot.
(And which is why I hope my wife doesn't read this blog because she was sleeping at the time and it only reinforces why she insists I wear a helmet when I ride a motorcycle).

There is a correlating story about the cafeteria at Asbury Seminary in Wilmore, Kentucky where, as students were passing thru the line one day, they found a sign placed by the basket of bright red apples saying: 'Take only one please - God is watching.' As the students reached the other end of the line, they found a basket full of cookies. There was another sign, this one hastily scrawled, that read: 'Take as many as you want - God is watching the apples.'

That's kind of funny because we understand that God has no blind spot. He's watching the apples --- and the cookies --- and everything else. He's watching you.

How much difference would it make in your life if you operated with that message up-close-and-personal all the time? God is watching.

Maybe that sounds like a crushing burden. But if you really understood God's love and grace, you would know that not only is He watching you - He is smiling on you - and because of that, you would want to please Him every moment. And if God is really watching the person in the next cubicle -- and smiling on them -- you would want to do something to bless or help that person in order to please God even more.

There is no reason you and I cannot live with that kind of unsinkable view.

And be blessed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved the story about the apples and the cookies. I think in real life, God is tending the cookies, smiling at us, and that He is the One saying, "Take as many as you want. I'd like you to have them and be blessed!" :-)

Anonymous said...

It's nice to think that God might be smilng down on me. I used to often say I wanted God to be proud of me. I hope He is pleased with where I am now, instead of where I was. I believe He is...