Wednesday, May 25, 2011

CONFUSE

I think people were generally confused at Jesus. He repeatedly confounded the disciples with what He said and did. He was the Rabbi who did very un-Rabbi-like things. He was the Prophet who spoke about the Kingdom of heaven coming. He was the Holy One who rubbed up close against everything and everyone unholy. He calls Himself "Son of Man" 70 times, but only calls Himself "Son of God" twice, and He never called Himself "Christ" or "Messiah." Whenever someone else called Him "Messiah," He quickly re-directed them to "Son of Man."

I think I'm kind of like all those people. I am confused at Jesus sometimes. I know a little child can know Him. I used to sing it as a boy: 'Jesus loves me, this I know; for the Bible tells me so ... ' But I still haven't completely figured Him out.

I don't think Jesus is being difficult or anything and I know He is inviting people into personal engagement with Him. I know He doesn't want us just studying Him from a safe distance. I know He wants us seeking Him with open hearts. I yearn for all those things more and more.

But I have said at times - halfway out loud: 'Lord, I just don't get you. I don't get what You're doing in my life. Why can't it be clearer what You want?'

In the end, some of the perplexity turns out to be an important component of the process of coming to know Him better. At least I know I identify with some of His disciples that way.

Maybe I should write a Jesus For Dummies book. Would you buy it?

And be blessed.

4 comments:

PK's BLOG said...

LOL. Well, thank you for the encouragement that you would buy any book I would write. HA. I should get started right away then, I guess. :)

Anonymous said...

I've told you this several times...you are the most intelligent and interesting person I have ever known in my personal life. Do write that book someday. :)

PK's BLOG said...

LOL. Well I am so very sorry you have not known more people than that. I can't possibly be the most interesting OR intelligent person ANYONE has ever known, but THANK YOU!!!

Anonymous said...

PK, you have an awful lot of friends and readers. There is a book that I recommend called Falling in Love With Jesus. Admittedly, it is probably more interesting to women, but isn't that we all want? To love Jesus more? I deeply appreciate the intellectual discussions. I learn more and devour more than you know, but I deeply need the heart. I've said it here a hundred times, but I wish more than anything He was here in person. I would be Mary at His feet, listening to every word He spoke.