Thursday, April 21, 2011

RIGHTS

I hear a lot of Christians talking about their 'rights' these days. "I have a 'right' to do this or that ... I have a 'right' to receive this or that ... I have a 'right' to know this or that ... "

I realize that we in America highly prize our rights - and rightly so. It is the primary distinctive that puts us head and shoulders above when compared with the other 200 nations of the world. Given that, it's so easy for Christians in America to transfer that belief to their relationship with God - or to the church.

We who believe and trust in God have done so because we have freely chosen this path. We examined the spiritual data and we chose. We are not 'owed' anything particularly; we chose this journey.

But we also have to examine God's choice for US. When we return to look at the example of Jesus and His disciples, we see that concept turning on its head a bit. We don't choose so much as we are chosen. I know many aspects of that remain a mystery to us, yet this much is clear: If you are a follower of Christ, you have been called and chosen by God, just as those first disciples of Jesus were called and chosen. Of course, you have also chosen to say 'yes,' but the first chooser was God, not you.

This wipes away some of the talk about what your 'rights' are as a believer. You have more obligation than right. The call of God is real. Jesus wants you to be one of His disciples.

And be blessed.

2 comments:

Leaderj said...

Another Idea would be that instead of using the phrase we "Have To" or "I've Got To",try using the phrase "I Get To"....It takes away the attitude of I have rights, an adds an attitude of gratitude. Great subject. Thanks, Jim

Anonymous said...

PK, I know God drew me to Him. I wanted to know Him, but I tried several different churches. At the time, I thought the more inclusive a church was, the better it was...that includes all "paths to God". When I first became a believer and I went to the class at KFA for new believers, that was the very first time in my life that I heard anyone say that Jesus was God in the flesh. I didn't understand the Trinity. Honestly, I thought if Jesus was the Son of God, then He was a lesser version. I was so misguided.

In the beginning, I was so excited and wanted nothing more than for God to be proud of me. I tired so hard to most things right. But, in the end I am a sinner and I need to find my way back, because I am not happier. I miss Him, I miss going to church every Sunday, I miss the anticipation of Sunday as the best day of the week...so much so, that I used to go to both services.

I don't feel so much that I have a right to things, but if He chose me and still wants me, I want to get back to it all. I'm no good witout Him. I know it...and He knows it. Sorry this is so long.