Wednesday, April 13, 2011

PREISTHOOD

There has always been a sense that 'clergy' is more powerful than 'laity.' I think that's a trap. There is a doctrine out there called 'The Priesthood of all Believers,' which I believe in deeply as a Biblical concept. Simply stated, it means every believer in Jesus Christ can have a life that is connected to God on a personal basis and every believer can serve with a distinct function for the Kingdom with equal importance to the clergy. Certainly, leaders within the church have legitimate and Biblical reasons for being there (I'd better believe that, right?), but there is not a special pipeline to God and their lives are not substantively different from the lives of the laity. Or they shouldn't be.

We talk about the concept of 'the priesthood of all believers,' but it seems like we don't do as much about it, practically speaking. It is continuously communicated from our stages with some eloquence, not to mention conviction, yet a relatively small percentage of believers involve themselves in something significant on a regular basis.

What would be scriptural as well as exciting and transforming would be to have believers who came to faith and then began daily times of personal worship, prayer and Bible reading that effectively built up their lives. We may have become too comfortable and accustomed to getting all of that from pastors alone or from TV/internet preachers.

The outflow of that is when confronted with an actual unbeliever or crisis situation in the life of another, the message is: "Go see my pastor" or "Get to church and they'll fix that."

Um. No.

However, I fear we have cultivated some of that motivation ourselves. "Don't miss the series for the next four weeks. It'll change your life!" ... and things like that. It is small wonder then that people perceive themselves as incapable and incompetent to handle their own situations thru personal knowledge of the Word or listening to God or thru the support of the life of the body of Christ.

Walking with Jesus is within the grasp of every individual. He is the One who makes us competent to walk it out. Remember ... you have a priesthood in you.

And be blessed.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

PK, I have a stupid question, but I am going to pose it, anyways, since it perplexes me. Everyday, online, I read the Daily Bible. Some days I get so much from it and other days, it goes in one ear and out another. God knows this about me, so why shouldn't you... It's just that certain Christian books really speak to me and touch my heart. Most often, those are from a feminine perspective.

So, here's the question...Can books other than the Bible be equally valuable in drawing me closer to God? I have read some wonderful ones that warmed me to the core and strengthened my love for Him and helped me feel His love more, too.

Kathie said...

What a great perspective and better still what a unique ability to verbalize this truth. Love being empowered by Jesus and commissioned to be Jesus to others. Thanks for the reminder of who we are.

Kathie

Kathie said...

What a great perspective and ability to verbalize who we are called to be. Thanks for the reminder of being empowered by Jesus and commissioned to do His work here on earth.

Kathie

Dina Lazarski, MSW said...

I have to say that based on your blog, I am incredibly blessed to be surrounded by an amazing group of friends who do not live anything like the people you are describing in your blog. The Christians I know not only have an incredibly rich personal relationship with God, they are deeply committed to actively participating in dynamic and effective "on the ground" ministries locally as well as globally-they truly live out their faith. I think the church leadership would be surprised what "lay" people are actually accomplishing in His name if they were aware of all that is taking place outside the formal structure/organization of the church. I think a lot of this takes place under the radar because the people I know don't do it for recognition or accolades. They may not blog, tweet, or FB about it-but I can assure you there are many, many "ordinary" Christians out in the real world who are making an extraordinary difference because of their willingness to walk out the unique calling God has placed upon each of their lives...

Anonymous said...

"You were perfectly created by God to function in the kingdom. The gifts and abilities you need to fulfill your assignment are yours."

John Bevere

PK's BLOG said...

DINA:
Very well said, and I agree with you. I know it is particularly true of the circles you run in and good rubs off on good in those circles. You are blessed, and we are blessed to know you and have you as part of us at KFA.

I also agree that there are many many people doing many many things that I am unaware of -- no doubt. I hope those efforts double, triple and increase as God directs.

PK's BLOG said...

I think books are incredibly awesome and value-adding to our lives. I would never say - nor agree with anyone who did - that they take the place of the Bible in creating value in our lives. Books ADD it, but the Bible CREATES it.