Sunday, April 10, 2011

CONSEQUENCE

It will come as no surprise to anyone that I've made some pretty bone-headed mistakes in my time. And what is just flat out true is that God doesn't seem to say very often: 'You know what, I'm going to be a Good Guy and spare you the consequences of those.' Instead, He seems to say: 'I'll walk with you through the experience of the consequence.'

I've said similar things to my own kids. 'Daughter, I'm not here to spare you from every rough thing in life, particularly what you've brought on yourself, but I will be here to walk through it with you. I'm here.'

God does the same. He knows the hurt you're experiencing is a result of your own mistakes - and while He may not magically remove all the consequences or the hurt, even though He is utterly capable of both - more often He graciously showers mercy down and lovingly shrinks the full weight of the mistakes.

He knows that what you're carrying on your back is way too big for you, even though it may be the result of your own actions, but letting you go through the results and consequences of the mistakes while walking with you - sometimes carrying you - is probably one of the most loving things He can do.

And be blessed.

No comments: