Monday, March 21, 2011

YAHTZEE


I spoke from the book of Revelation on Sunday (www.kenoshafirst.com). I’ll confess I don’t speak from Revelation a whole lot, but Sunday was one of those days. Though it wasn’t my text, Revelation 13:18 says: “Let the one with understanding solve the meaning of the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man. His number is 666.”

That comes to mind because on the way home I saw a license plate with the number ‘666’ on it. It was a Ford Prius, so that probably explains it.

I read that in the 1980s some people suspected that President Ronald Wilson Reagan might be the Antichrist because each of his three full names had six letters. Six-six-six. All this was - and is - pretty ridiculous since most of us know the Antichrist will be a Democrat. Or a communist. Or both. (Just kidding.)

I also read about Mikhail S. Gorbachev, leader of the old Soviet Union block until it disintegrated in the early 1990s - that his name in the Cyrillic language adds up to 1,332, which is twice ‘666.’

And ... I read that Saddam Hussein was born on April 28, 1937, and was captured on December 13, 2003, which made him 66.6 years old on the day they pulled him out of the hole. Gasp. Of course, not much chance he’s the Antichrist, right? (He’s dead.)

I don’t really get too crazy worrying or wondering about the who, when, where, what or why of all that since I’ve got all my eggs in the Jesus basket. I’m very careful when I play Yahtzee though.

And be blessed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just re-listened to your sermon. It was very good.

I don't often think about the Antichrist, either. However, I did read the Left Behind series of books. They are a work of fiction, but they are based on Revelations. I found it both frightening and fascinating at the same time. For the most part, I worry about family and friends, but there have been times I have been in the valley in my spirtual life and I feared that I would not go to heaven, either. I don't know how easy it is for God to judge you unworthy.