Monday, March 14, 2011

WISDOM

You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions. - Naguib Mahfouz

I do not think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday. - Abraham Lincoln

As we grow in wisdom, we pardon more freely. - Madame de Stael


I used to think you got more wisdom just by getting older - that it was one of those things that happened just because. But no. Wisdom doesn't come simply by living. You have to go after it. Sure, there is some level of wisdom that will rub off on you just as a matter of course - wisdom and experience are interconnected. But the quality of your future is shaped by the wisdom you have, not the other way around. You can accomplish great things in your field of expertise and live a life of pure foolishness.

I can't do this life without wisdom. I am forever thankful that God calls and uses people like me who have acted foolishly in their pasts.

In the Bible, James says: 'If anybody lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously ... and it will be given to him.' (James 1:5)

Ask.

And be blessed.

2 comments:

Sara Kelly said...

God gives us wisdom. FOR FREE. I have and am taking all that I can get. It has helped me overcome being a backslider and renew my love for Christ. It has helped me be at peace in life and be a better person.

Anonymous said...

You are very wise and I have often been the beneficiary of that. Sometimes, you are the voice of reason. There have been times I really listened and other times, I didn't do very well, at all.

I think am at the very beginning of a better path right now. FS is exactly where I need to be and I think I am ready for it this time. I am not foolish enough to believe it will be easy, but it is much needed. I really want to make some good friends there. I'm tired of being on my own. Who knows, maybe somewhere along the way, I really will gain some wisdom.