Thursday, March 17, 2011

SWEAT

I was doing a presentation today for some folks - not something all that unusual for me - it wasn't like it was out of my comfort zone or anything --- but when I came away from the mike and sat down, I realized I had been sweating like a faucet under my arms. My shirt was dark green in 'those two spots' (even though I'm not Irish, I still wore green today). Embarrassing. I spent the next 30 minutes wondering how many people noticed.

Clarification: I don't really sweat much when I'm doing hard labor or working out - it just seems to be when I'm up front communicating, go figure. I admit that I can be fantastic at sweating. If you could get paid to sweat, I would be so rich. When I see someone else on a stage sweating in 'those two spots,' I admit I find it a little hypnotic.

I know that isn't very mature-sounding of me.

So in an effort to help (myself) others out there with this problem, I pass along three solutions from a sage on this topic:

Change clothes. Often.
I wonder what would happen if, in the middle of the message, I just told everybody to pause for 60 seconds - talk amongst themselves - while I went over behind the plexi-glass drummer-quarium and changed shirts. O yeah - that is see-through, isn't it?

Preach from inside the baptismal.

This is going to be the hardest one to slip by the congregation but it might be worth it. Do your next sermon series while standing inside the water-filled baptismal. Sure, you may get in the newspaper, but it would keep the sweat down.

Embrace it.
Face it. God made us sweaty. Stop fighting it.

And be blessed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lol....you make me smile. I am terrified of public speaking, so I hear ya!