Tuesday, March 29, 2011

EARLY

There are few things that make me hungrier for dynamic Christianity than reading about the experiences of the early church. They weren't rich, they weren't culturally acceptable, but they had this vitality of heart that couldn't be quenched.

They were pre-occupied with Jesus. He wasn't just theology; He was real. He was the center of their message, their life, their church. They just wanted to obey His will. His presence was real enough to walk them through whatever.

They had authentic community. It was an earmark for the early church. Even people who didn't agree with their message marveled at how much they loved and cared for each other.

They had power. Everything I've learned about speaking (and writing) in college and through my own digging has been geared to the art of persuasion through articulate and inspiring speech. I suppose I could weave a Biblical argument around someone until the poor sap has no choice but to agree with me, but I've never seen it produce enduring change. At the risk of bragging, I have not been accused of being inarticulate when speaking (or writing), but what I want is God's power flowing out of me - and that doesn't come from me. The early church had it.

They sacrificed. They didn't follow Jesus so they could get a new cabin or a new car. They followed because He was Lord. They sought His will above personal gain. Their values were not in the material because they understood the truly abundant life wasn't temporal comfort, but something far greater and heavenly.

Sure, they had problems back then, too - but those who pressed in to know Christ more and better were increasingly changed into His likeness.

All of that to say -- what God has offered us is far better than what we are currently living. We can find it today. It's still possible. The early church can be the church now. And what is more, that's just what God wants for us.

And be blessed.

No comments: