Monday, February 21, 2011

SMELL

I have a trait - a tendency - an O.C.D. - that makes me smell books. I know it’s weird. But it’s like I have to. I get a new book - or a used one - or a borrowed one from the library - and I automatically open it and put it to my nose and smell it. I know you have now lost several levels of respect for me and I don’t know why I do it, but I do.

I’ve passed this awesome gift to at least two of my adult children, by the way. And chances are at least 10% of you do it too (according to irrefutable research). Don’t pretend you don’t know what I’m talking about.

It’s one of the big reasons I miss hymnals in church. They had that odd bouquet blend of old yellowed paper with slight undertones of hand sweat. Yum, huh?

But honestly, I miss that church smell. Words to worship choruses splashed on big video screens don’t have a smell. I’ve never gone home saying, ‘Boy, that “HOW GREAT IS OUR GOD”’ really smelled great today.’

When I get rich and famous, please know that I will create a cologne and perfume that smells like old hymnals. If guys want to meet a great Christian girl, they can splash some on. Girls can wear it if they want to attract a pastor.

I’m going to bring my own hymnal some Sunday morning and sniff it to my heart’s content while everyone around me is singing. Sounds like a great time to me.

And be blessed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lol...ok....that is beyond adorable....seriously??? Of course, it is you.... so seriously...lol. I don't smell books, but, Lord help me, I do plenty of things you would wonder about. I can promise you that. That is so open of you to say that. I love your transparency...sincerely.

Sometimes, I wish I could hang out with you and be real. The blog is awesome, but you are cool...no matter if you ever have been or not. In reference to your last sermon. You are one of the coolest. :)

PK's BLOG said...

EVERYBODY AT KFA IS COOOOOOOL!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Well, now that makes me feel better...lol! I am not that cool, but, if my pastor says so...okey doke. lol