Saturday, February 19, 2011

FORMATION

A shrewd observer of ministry made this comment about church ministry: "Given the contents of the New Testament, one might expect local congregations of Christians to be entirely devoted to the spiritual formation of those in attendance. What we find in most cases is constant distraction from this as the central task - by the demands of the organization - by the requirements of our faith and practice - by traditions. Often there is the recognition that what we wind up 'having to do' is not what we should really be about."

This got me thinking particularly about how I spend my time. I have been doing church ministry for a long while now, and though I can waste time with the best of them, I have a pretty good sense for how it gets spent.

Lots of time gets spent on programs. This includes messages to be prepared, music to be selected, stories to be told, segues to be segued, lights and sound and instruments and collection baskets. This can all be good stuff, but sometimes it feels more like Lucy and Ethel trying to wrap candy as it speeds by on the conveyor belt than like helping Christ be formed in people.

Lots of time gets spent on planning. I’m good at this and at its best it can produce all kinds of great things. But all too often the unstated goal is: “How can we get more people to come out to more events?” Getting more people to events is how we feel we demonstrate our success and worth as a church.

Lots of time gets spent evaluating stuff, but rarely is the evaluation centered around whether or not Christ was more deeply formed in people. More often it's around categories of execution, excellence, efficiency and productivity.

So I have been spending more time these days thinking about what it might look like to be ‘devoted to the spiritual formation of those present.’

It is very possible that the greatest challenge for the western church in our day will not be what we begin to do - but what we cease doing.

And be blessed.

6 comments:

Guy said...

Thank you for this Pastor! I agree that rather us doing things for Him, I believe our Father would rather we do everything that we do "in Him, and with Him" - not just for Him. Figuring out how we can help those who attend to really get to know Him, His Name, and experience Him daily in real ways. I believe this is what our Lord has wanted from the very beginning of creation - For each of us to dwell, stay, and remain in the secret place of the Most High, then we will be living, abiding in His presence and under the protective, providing shadow of the Unconquerable One!
Many believers wonder what God's will is for them - what He wants them "to do" - I recently heard a radio pastor say "when we get to really know the "Who", the "what" will take care of itself (what we are supposed to do).
"Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself unless it abides in the Vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me." John 15:4
Thanks again Pastor, Guy

Unknown said...

Thanks for the thought provoking perspective on ministry PK. After 30 years of knowing Christ, I'm still trying to figure this stuff out.
The concept of real ministry seems quite simple in so many ways, but yet amazingly complex.
Reminds me of the "simplicity" of the teachings of Jesus. Just look at Matthew 5 to 7. All of these concepts Jesus taught are radically simple but not confined to the action/reaction thinking that fills our lives everyday. Concepts like "loving our enemies" or "turning the other cheek"
go against typical human thinking, but I think provide God with the opportunity to touch people's lives.
Again, thank you Pastor Kevin and keep the insights coming!
Chris

Anonymous said...

I feel for you...being in ministry is so much more complex than a normal business. It is obvious how much effort you put into your sermons and I think, personally, that your blog is a way to bring us further along in our walk.

Actually, I hate to think of you running thru your days and feeling stressed. I hope you have enough days that feel like a breeze. Take care of yourself, PK...

PK's BLOG said...

No need to 'feel' for me. I love what I do and am not stressed by the day-to-day inner workings. It's all for God.

Anonymous said...

Well, I am glad to hear that....and you are SO much stronger than I. I get stressed way too easily. We love what you do, too. :)

Anonymous said...

So, what does it look like to be ...‘devoted to the spiritual formation of those present.’

What does that mean for you as our pastor?

I am reading an awesome book right now, called No Other Gods. It is how we substitute other things in our life for the one, true God. It may be a spouse, children, our job, alcohol...whatever takes our attention. I love this book. I know exactly what takes my attention from God, but I am not so sure that I am alone in that. It may not be the same thing, but don't most of us have something that really captures our attention? I'm not really alone, am I?