Wednesday, February 23, 2011

FOLKS

In a stroke of absolute genius, Jesus said He could boil down the 883 pages of the Law into just one sentence. He could sweep all the Law and the Prophets into a single, compelling directive that would revolutionize life. He said He could summarize all of Exodus, Leviticus, Deuteronomy and the rest in this one guideline.

Brilliant.

To please God, we don't have to spend years in theological training. Neither do we have to master some inches-thick rulebook that covers each and every situation. What we have to do is remember - every moment of every day - to treat others the way we'd like to be treated.

Really? That's it, Jesus?

"Love is at the fulfillment of the Law," He said. It is at the very core of what a godly life requires.

If we would conscientiously obey this one sentence - just this one - we would have covered the essence of God's desire for us. And I think He's trying to say that means love for all kinds of folks - not just 'our kind.' In fact - just going out on a limb here - I think He's saying that His greater future for you and me is quite likely to involve our association with those who are 'other' than we are.

Go - and do.

And be blessed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, my goodness, if it is as easy at that... I have love to spare for those that are different from me or or not. I have love for anyone who opens their heart a little bit. Let me in, a bit, and then I might be able to touch you.