Sunday, January 16, 2011

SEE

Contrary to popular opinion, pastors struggle with issues of faith, too. I don’t struggle with or wonder about the reliability of the Bible or the realness of Jesus, but I struggle with other issues of faith at times.


It is not my nature to sit quietly by and wait for God to do His thing. I think He moves too slow a lot of the time. I’m not very patient. Anyone who works with me will tell you that.


When I’m falsely accused, i want to lash out and set the record straight. I know I’m that way.


I feel like truth often takes too long to make itself heard.


I have found it hard at times to trust God with my children. I have become anxious about their futures and wanted to protect them from every evil influence - even as they have become adults.


Sometimes I even get disappointed with believers. Sorry, but I’m just being honest.


I don’t fully understand how people can live with such a wide chasm between what they profess to believe and what they actually live out.


I see too many people compartmentalizing the Bible and rationalizing their disobedience, seemingly without an ilk of conscience over it - they think it’s all fine with God just because it somehow ‘works’ for them.


I see too many people harboring personal bitterness and anger when we are clearly commanded to forgive.


I see too many people forever complaining and gossiping with no apparent agenda except selfishness or to hurt others - even though the Bible calls those attitudes and patterns sin.


I see too many people living rebelliously toward the various authorities in their lives when the Bible is clear we're to be in submission to those authorities - in fact, we're to be in submission to one another.


I see too many people living for the here and now rather than for eternity.


I admit it. I wonder about those issues of faith at times.


But here’s the bottom line: I see too many people ... and I need to get my eyes off of you and back on Jesus - and you need to get your eyes off of me and back on Jesus.


And be blessed.

2 comments:

Pam DeVuyst said...

Thankyou Pastor Kevin,
I'm going through alot at the Towers with gossip and false accusations about me as well. You really hit home today. Please keep in prayer as I will keep you and your family in mine. I really miss talking to you.

Anonymous said...

I am sure I am a minority with your readers, but I do struggle with the Bible. I can't reconcile how God is love, but it is so violent and punitive. I know you have tried to explain it, but it's my heart and the softer side of me that doesn't understand.

Seriously, I don't know what to think of myself anymore. I believe 100% in Jesus, but I question the bible. I do not live my life the way He would want me to. I do perfectly fine in many areas, but others, not so well.

I often think of you as a "rock star" of Kenosha. It's nice to hear you say that we need to get back to the main thing. For myself, you are a tenuous thread to the church anymore. The more time that goes by, the further I go. I guess I am the one sheep. Maybe someone will take the time and interest to connect with me and renew my passion for God and the church. Then again, maybe I will just go my way in time. It's a big church. You can only do much. I don't have a lot of deep friends, but the ones I do have can make or break me.