Monday, January 31, 2011

LITTLE

I'm not bemoaning my state today - I love what I do and where I do it - I wouldn't trade it for anything else. Just making sure you understand.

But I was talking this week to a guy that I've been asked to mentor by our District - I don't know why they asked me to do that because there are plenty of people way better at that than me. He pastors a small work here in our state.

As we were talking, it struck me that he probably had more to give me than vice versa. It felt that way, at least. Sure, we're in a big church here but this guy at the small church has just as much, if not more, to teach about discipling and shepherding. I could learn from him.

I don't believe small is bad. I don't believe small is good either. Just like I don't believe big is bad - or good. That big is good seems to be the prevailing opinion out there, but I don't really believe that. I also don't believe all megachurch pastors are idolators of ambition. Small church guys can be just as idolatrous.

All I know is -- we shared stuff and this guy had some great things to say. I took them to heart, even though he didn't realize he was the one doing the teaching.

1 - The little guy can teach you about contentment.
While the bigger guy is always looking for the next conquest and quantum ministry leap, the little guy has been learning to be content with what God has provided - and while his ministry might not be bigger by the numbers, his peace and joy probably are.

2 - The little guy knows about pastoring.
As in actually pastoring. REALLY pastoring. The big guy probably knows about managing people, organizing people, inspiring people, but the little guy knows his people. He knows who is struggling with what and he tends to his flock because he has to. After years of doing that, he may not have the latest cutting edge creativity (then again, he might have that too), but he will have learned the art of pastoring.

3 - The little guy is seasoned.
The guy who has grown his church from 4 to 1,000 in a year is successful. And it's a remarkable achievement. But if I wanted to be mentored by a battle-hardened minister, someone who knows what it's like to have much as well as little, a guy who has had his hand to the plow without looking back for the long haul, facing opposition and criticism, who hasn't banked his success on a huge attractional programming but on long-term faithful investing into people, I'd probably go to the guy who has had a church of 125 for fifteen years.

4 - The little guy knows what really matters.
He isn't caught up in homiletical one-upsmanship. He isn't easily impressed by 'big.' Being dismissed or overlooked hardly matters to him, because he knows what matters. He's not a slave to the statistics of church, but measures it by faithfulness to his calling. He doesn't know these things as mere concepts, but deep down in his gut.

My hat is off to 'little.' Thank you for serving.

And be blessed.

5 comments:

Dr Phil said...

I like it!

Anonymous said...

I love this post. Maybe I will truly find what I am looking for in a smaller church. I need God, yes, but I need human caring and interaction, too. I need Jesus in the flesh. We'll see. I am not turned off to God, but I need other Christians whom I love and who love me, too. I need to heal my heart first, though.

Anonymous said...

I especially love this. I need a pastor, seriously, that I can speak to about matters that restrict my walk with Jesus. I am alone and so lost when it comes to Him. I realize your time is limited, but it is hard for someone who is searching for God, but needs a mentor. I need someone I feel close to, but it can't be forced, but up to God...if He still wants me.


2 - The little guy knows about pastoring.
As in actually pastoring. REALLY pastoring. The big guy probably knows about managing people, organizing people, inspiring people, but the little guy knows his people. He knows who is struggling with what and he tends to his flock because he has to.

PK's BLOG said...

The pastor is not called to be all things to all people. He cannot be pastor, shepherd, counselor, mentor, financial analyst, strong shoulder, etc. Pastors should not be the bottlenecks to their congregation. The BODY of Christ is made for such things. This will also be true, even in the smaller church, though probably to different degrees.

Anonymous said...

I honestly do understand that, PK. Truly. You gave me more of your wisdom and good advice than I can ever thank you for. I wish KFA wasn't quite as big, cause I would always choose you for a spiritual mentor. Thank you, my friend.