Friday, December 31, 2010

TAVERN

I saw some TAVERN RULES the other day. It struck me how many of them actually apply to church.

TAVERN RULES
1 Satisfaction guaranteed - just talk to us.
2 The guest is usually right. OK ... always.
3 Music is at the volume we like. Ear plugs available on request.
4 Celebrate all you want, but we don't sing 'Happy Birthday' here.
5 Feel free to talk to strangers.
6 Alert your server if you have any special dietary restrictions.
7 About the Tavern Rules - Don't talk about them with your mouth full.

I used to be a whole lot more about rules than I am today. Don't get me wrong, I still like rules, but I've come to realize they can bog down vision. People just start trying to follow the 'book' rather than 'live' and 'create' and 'dream.'

But I agree some rules are necessary. Less is more probably, but whatever rules you end up having should at least define who you are. If we could keep them as simple as these Tavern Rules, we would probably do well.

We don't have a long list of rules that defines KFA, but we have our core values. They define us:
Christ-Centered
Outward-Focused
Grace-Filled
Compassionate
Creative
Relational
Relevant
Integrity

As we end this year and enter the next, I'm excited to see what God will do.

Happy New Year. And be blessed.

No comments: