Monday, December 13, 2010

DUMB

Here are some of the dumb leadership mistakes I've made - some of them fairly recent:

Putting projects before people.
This is just one of those areas where I need to embrace the tension between relating with people and accomplishing the mission - and knowing that 'people' edge out 'job.'

Trying to fix the problem instead of the process.
It's kind of like continuing to change diapers rather than potty-training your kid. You can either continue reacting to the problem or you can fix the process. Ninety percent of the time it's a systems problem, not a people problem.

Just delegating a 'task' instead of a 'responsibility.'
I think I've been famous for this dumb leadership type of decision. As one person said: 'If all I've known is straw houses and I control every detail of their construction, then my leadership will never generate brick house ideas.'

Assuming it's always black-and-white.
I confess I tend to be a black-and-white kind of guy. Following rules is easier than the messiness of relationships. Following rules is easier than getting God's will. I'm for guidelines and order, of course - that's never going to change - but innovative organizations, I'm finding, don't value rules over mission.

Not following my gut.
I'm actually pretty good at this, but when I haven't followed it, a dumb decision often resulted. I usually call my 'gut,' the Holy Spirit (with no offense to Him) and know now that when I stop listening to Him, He seems to stop talking to me.

Waiting till there's a problem to get feedback.
I admit I'm encouragement-challenged. I tend to speak up more when expectations aren't met. I'm getting way better at that, but I've found it creates a culture of fear when I make this dumb mistake. I need to discipline myself to encourage my team a lot more.

So - there they are. Some of my dumb leadership mistakes. Not all, but some. They're a reflection of my personality. They also, on some counts, reflect the sin that is sometimes present in my life that I war against. Your list likely looks different. But you know your list like I know mine. You should, at least. If you don't, ask yourself. Ask your spouse. Ask a close friend. Ask your co-workers. Ask God. One of them is going to tell you.

And don't settle.

And be blessed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

:) . . . .we all can see ourselves in the "dumb" things for we ALL do them don't we? Good blog PK!