Wednesday, December 15, 2010

APOLOGIZE

Never - and I mean never - apologize for passion.

It's one of the missing ingredients today in the church - and how we need it. I've met a lot of young pastors who are full of enthusiasm, dreams, goals - they pray big prayers - they refuse to be quiet about what God has given them. And unfortunately, that scares some people away.

So many pastors seem to lack passion - (I hope that isn't me - don't think it is) - and rather than doing great things for God, they just want to keep the sheep happy and grazing and if possible, maybe catch the attention of some sheep down the street and coax them on over.

We don't need that. We need men and women full of great passion and vision - men and women set on fire by God - men and women who feel as if they'll explode unless they do and say what God is showing them.

I've made my share of mistakes, of course - I've blogged about them over the past week or so - but I don't ever regret the passion in which I have pursued what God has called me to do. I refuse to be complacent about the church or about the dream for it God has placed in my heart.

I am passionate that we become a church where it is 'easy to find and experience God.' It isn't that we think it's going to be super-easy for everyone. We just think the reason enough people aren't making the choice for Christ is that they aren't seeing it lived out minus the hypocrisy. So in living lives of truth and integrity and purity, we make it easier for our neighbors to say, 'It looks pretty good on him/her. If he/she can do it, them maybe I can too.' And in that way, we make it easier for people to find and experience God.

I am passionate that we be a church where authentic community and enthusiastic service is going on daily.

I am passionate about worship (that means singing, praying, giving, living) that is also passionate.

I am passionate about people growing in faith personally - learning to feed themselves rather than waiting seven more days until the next weekend bowlful is served up.

I believe the church is the hope of the world - not the building, but the people. This thing inside me - this passion for the church and for people far from God - isn't mine. I never could have drummed it up. But now that God has placed it in me, it burns. So when I speak about the church and the vision, I can't help but be filled with passion.

Never - and I mean never - apologize for passion. The world doesn't need one more church leader who lives to marry, bury, counsel and dress to please everybody. The world needs one more church leader full of passion, who actually believes that God loves people and sent His Son into the world to rescue them. And do everything you can to get that message out. And never - and I mean never - apologize for passion.

I need to go scream now.

And be blessed.

No comments: