Tuesday, November 16, 2010

WHY

I've had this blog for nearly three years now. Time flies. It's been something I've really enjoyed. I know there are those out there way better at blogging than I - more interesting - funnier - more cutting edge - but I've definitely learned some things during those three years. Some people have asked me WHY I do it. So I thought I'd make today's blog the reasons why.

It helps me clarify my own thinking.
Maybe this is the primary, selfish benefit of blogging for me. Sometimes I'm not sure what I think about a topic until I start writing about it -- or while I'm writing, it begins to come into clearer focus right before my eyes. Blogging helps me untangle my tangled thoughts.

It has given me some firsthand experience with an emerging technology and form of social media and communication.
Sometimes I hear people pontificate about things they know little about. When you actually use something, your learning and insights go to a higher level.

It has provided me with an instant feedback mechanism.
I love the fact that people can comment on what has been written. It's been interesting that most of the feedback will come thru FACEBOOK, to which the blog automatically posts. But a few still comment directly on the blog page and I encourage that and like it when it happens in any form.

It has given others a 'peek behind the curtain.'
It's kind of funny what people think about me. It seems to be at opposite poles. Half the world thinks I'm intensely private and quiet, holding my personal life very close to the vest. The other half thing I'm Superman-Transparent, probably based on what I've shared from the stage as well as here. But this has given me an opportunity to open my life in some controlled ways to those who read. I'm told people like that. I don't know.

It has allowed me to share my personal vision as well as our church vision.
This has been a great thrill for me - to be able to get out information about who we are, where we're going and what God is doing.

It just scratches my itch to write.
I have 'writing a book' on my Bucket List. In my next life, I'd like to be an author. In the three years, it has added up to 700 blog pages up and average of 350 words per post, give or take. That's 250,000 words total, which would equal four 250-page novels. So maybe I should scratch the book thing off my Bucket List.
In any case, I'll probably keep going with it for the foreseeable future.

And be blessed.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for your blog PK. It provides an opportunity to:
1. Think about things that matter - God and people
2. Understand you and the church (KFA) more clearly
3. Easily share interesting thoughts and ideas with others that are not affiliated with you or the church.

Thank you and keep it up!

For what it's worth...I think you should keep that book on your bucket list!
And be blessed!
Chris Lang

Anonymous said...

I love your blog...I read and comment on a regular basis. Many times, I prefer writing my thoughts, as opposed to talking it over. It gives me time to mull things over, so I completely understand how it might clarify your thoughts.

Lol....having gotten to know you a fair bit, I see sides of you that are very private and keep your boundaries firmly intact, but I love the ways that you DO open up. I know far more about you than other pastors and I can relate to you, in ways that I never could with someone else. Having said that...no, I don't think you are Superman transparent. That might be me...lol. :)

I think you should keep that book on your Bucket List. I only wish I were as eloquent as you. I find you extremely interesting and intelligent and I would love to hear what you have to say to the world.

It's interesting to hear other parishioners opinions and ideas on the blog. I think it might be fascinating if were almost a "round table" discussion of various topics you bring up. This type of forum is right up my alley, though. As I said, I prefer writing.

Thank you for giving us a peek into the world of a pastor. Keep doing what you're doing!

Whitney Thulin said...

Ummm...you know I would LOVE to help you scratch that one off your bucket list!