Monday, November 22, 2010

QUESTIONS

As I've reviewed the past several weeks/months of this blog, I found myself shocked at how often I talked about change. It isn't that I think things are so 'bad' the way they are; I don't. Far from it. Things are awesome. But I'm not a 'status quo' guy. Things can always be better. I just have to learn the art of valuing the past and present while still steering toward the future.

I believe change is the new constant; that's why I talk about it so much without even realizing I'm doing it.

After all, change is what we're all about. Change is what Christ did in our lives at the outset. Some of you were radically changed when you became a believer. You quit smoking, you quit getting drunk, you quit the bad language. You turned your life over to God completely. That was some amazing, ridiculous change.

And you're still changing. When you stop changing, you stagnate and eventually you die. Same thing with church life. That's what happened in Acts chapter 6. The church had grown and the way things had been operating had to change. Widows were being neglected. The leaders didn't have to give to the primary tasks God had called them to. But the most telling thing about that situation is what the Bible says next: 'So the Word of God spread. The number of disciples increased rapidly, and a large number of priests became obedient to the faith.' (Acts 6:7)

After they were willing to change, the Gospel spread like mad. The church got healthier and bigger because they were willing to make the necessary changes.

I know, I know. Change bites. It's not fun. Sometimes it's very painful. But I refuse to let the discomfort of change keep us from fulfilling the mission God has given us. We've been asking "HOW" and "WHY" and "WHERE" and "WHAT" and "WHO" about everything lately.

What do we want to accomplish?
Why do we want to accomplish it?
Where do we want to take people once they walk thru our doors?
What do we do with them after they accept Christ?
What has to happen to see our city changed?
How do we communicate to people where we want them to go?
What are the steps to get there?
Who are we trying to reach?

They are tough conversations that embarrass me, anger me, challenge me, excite me and sometimes frustrate me at how I have helped lead KFA up till now. But they are questions that have to be asked. They are questions we should have been asking all along.

And be blessed.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You would think change for the better is not taxing. Why is it people think it's hard to change- once you know what the results bring? We already know what it didn't bring.

PK's BLOG said...

That is a GREAT point! i'll use that sometime. :)

Anonymous said...

I think sometimes change can be terribly exciting and gives us something fresh and wonderful to look forward to.

Other things, that may be long time behaviors can be very difficult to change. I met with some friends tonight and we were talking about knowing the difference between God's will and our own will. Someone made an excellent point, sometimes we just know it is God's will, because we feel a sense of peace. That's the easy one. But he said, sometimes, we get so comfortable in our box, that when something is in God's will, we may feel uncomfortable or feel fear. We may know we need to do it, but it is more difficult.

I find change in the church kind of exciting. You are very creative and it is awesome to see what is next for KFA. I like the fact that you are not status quo!

Anonymous said...

Fear/uncomfortable-comfort zone is lack of faith/belief of what may come. "Just saying". The changes I personally make(builds more faith and trust in the Lord), the more easily other change become.You can't go wrong with the change he requires can you? I express these notes to encourage, inspire and bring hope to those who are where I was and continue to grow. Believe me change is a wonderful thing and is constant there is no end until physical death. Ever wonder why that hole (void) never got filled? Worldly versus Jesus? Hmmm, wordly has failed miserably Jesus keeps winning and you are kept fed and hunger no more. Happy Thanksgiving to all may the Lord continue to guide us in our changes to be more like him:) Church is one of the many wonderful tools that can help us along with a wonderful Lord led leader who also shows change in his path:) So many wonderful ways to be inspired by the gifts of God.

Anonymous said...

ANON: I went back to Freedom Seekers! I need to back on the path with Jesus and let go of this deadend way of life. It will not be easy. I've been here before, but I am taking it one day at a time. I have some special people who are helping me get there. Including PK. :)

I am excited to turn the page in this chapter of the book and see what the Lord has in store for me. Just in time for Thanksgiving...I have so much to be thankful for. Have a Happy Thanksgiving! :)

Anonymous said...

I am so very excited for you and believe and have faith!