Saturday, October 2, 2010

NOTORIOUS

In this one-two punch connected to yesterday's blog ...

There is a group of men out there who call themselves Notorious Sinners. They are from all walks of life and they meet regularly to openly share their 'messy faith' with one another. Their group name refers to the scandalous category of sinners whose reputations and ongoing flaws never seemed to keep Jesus away. In fact, He had a strange habit of collecting disreputables; He called them disciples. He still does.

I kind of like people who openly admit their notoriousness - who believe unabashedly that they are not only hopelessly flawed, but hopelessly forgiven.

I will admit that I'm on a fine line here, but there is something attractive about believers whose discipleship is blatantly real and carelessly passionate - a bizarre mix of the good, the bad and the ugly - living a spirituality that denies conventional and simple definitions.

It's really a description of the lives most of us live but few of us admit. It is a celebration of a discipleship under construction - a spiritual life that is complex, perplexing, at times disorderly and sloppy, even chaotic -- and yet, authentic. It is anything but a straight line. It is upside-down, full of unexpected turns and twists, and occasional bone-shattering crashes.

It is a life completely ruined by Jesus, who loves us day by day no matter what.

And be blessed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that more "Christians" would grow in their relationship with Christ if they started by admitting that truth to themselves (that they ARE flawed, yet forgiven). So many are unwilling to admit their weaknesses, and therefore fall far more than is sometimes necessary; and sometimes trying to lift themselves up, alone, unsuccessfully. It's hard to find accountability these days. If people aren't speaking the truth to themselves, what makes them think they can speak the truth to others? Just sayin'.

Anonymous said...

I sincerely wonder what it would be like if Christians were open and honest about their struggles in life? Would it be chaotic and overwhelming or would it give hope to others who struggle with their own demons?

I think it can be hard to come to terms with our own humanity in the church. I personally know folks who open their hearts and flaws on a regular basis, so I know it is safe there. Sometimes, I just wonder if we asked for a show of hands, how many people are struggling with some sort of life-controlling issue, would raise them?

I haven't done anything terrible, but I have one very huge issue that influences so many areas of my life. When people look at themselves in the mirror, what is it that gives you the biggest rush? Are you addicted to it? It really doesn't matter what it is...it could be shopping, for all I know. I just wonder, am I alone?

PS, PK...thank you from the bottom of my heart for leading the way and being so real...and accepting me, in spite of my flaws. I have never found that in any other church.