Tuesday, September 14, 2010

WORLD


Let me say from the outset - with all my heart - I love the church. I believe it is the hope of the world and I am dedicated to it.

However, if you are a Christian of any sort - liberal, conservative, mainline, evangelical, Protestant, Catholic, hand-clapper, non-clapper, pipe organ, keyboard or guitar - you recognize these present grinding, shifting, transitional times have shaken the church. It is unsettled, reeling, nervous, sometimes oblivious, and wondering when the shaking period will be over. Will it survive the changes?

For a number of reasons, the organized church in many places has become ingrown, tired, petty, crotchety and out of touch - or worse - manic and lunatic. As a result, many many have disengaged from religion, period.

I suppose there are plenty who are wishing right now that they could go back to the Old World with the church they remember. But others of us are eager to explore this exciting New World, to create new maps, to learn the new lay of the land, and to make a positive difference in it. Many of us believe the re-vitalization and re-configuration of the Christian church is the best strategy possible.

Because if we have a new world, we will need a new church - at least a new way of doing church. We don't need a new religion, but a new framework for our theology. We don't need a new Spirit, but a new spirituality. Not a new Christ, but a new Christian. Not a new denomimation, but a new kind of church in every denomination. Yet we must not underestimate either side of the equation - what must change as well as what must not.

I like this new world I see so far. Sometimes parts of it drive me insane, but I am optimistic. I wouldn't want to go back to the old world. The new world seems so full of opportunity, but perhaps I'm just naive and don't see that catastrophe lurks around the next bend. We'll find out eventually.

And be blessed.

3 comments:

Janell said...

Yes...I agree. I frightens me how so many churches have gotten "politically correct", and thus wandered 'slightly' away from God's Word. Bottom line: Christians need to be just that: Christ followers! Not church follower, not man follower...only Christ and His Holy Word. Nothing else matters, because if you are following Christ, you will be led in the right direction, no matter what direction the world is headed. And you will be equipped to handle it, because you will have God's sovereign Word as your guide. Amen!

Anonymous said...

I'm not afraid of change...probably because I have only been saved for 3 yrs.

I hope there might be new opportunites for service and ministry of some sort. I love that. I thknk the economy makes the number of church events and possibilities fewer than days past.

Some indictions give me cause for optimism in the church. More people seem to be open to talking about God.

Do you feel it in the air at all? I do.

Anonymous said...

Pastor Kevin, I have posted in my kitchen..."If you feel far from God, guess who moved." You are so right on with this one. Our God is the same yesterday, today and will be tomorrow. What is changing in our world, is us...the people. What KFA is discovering, are new ways to present Grace and Truth. With information at our fingertips, how do we keep up as a church. If we stay in the presence of God daily the Holy Spirit will reveal to us the What, the How, the Why and even the Who. Every person has a different perspective, and how to get the message out to every level-well that is where God comes in. Thanks for the Daily blog. Jim J