Saturday, September 18, 2010

CHAIN

I know I talk about this a lot but it's only because it is one of those issues so intricately important to the future survival of the church. And an issue we so often stubbornly refuse to admit even exists.

A new form of congregational life is dragging believers kicking and screaming into the 21st century. We live in a time unlike any before it. It's not merely that things are changing. Change itself has changed. These changes have happened in such quantum leaps that they are nothing like past changes made in some kind of easy-to-follow evolution. They are changes that remove us almost totally from any previous context we have had.

Simply trying to do old chores faster or better or to adapt old forms to more complex situations will no longer produce the desired results. Just running harder and harder in this new ministry world will not work.

It's time to go forward, honoring the past, while not allowing it to chain us or hold us back.

And be blessed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Technology has changed everyone's life. Including the church, as I hear from you...and can imagine.

I am 2 years behind you in age. When we were young, we had to go to the library and read books. Now, the world is at our fingertips, online....before our eyes on the 100's of channels on tv....virtually anything goes nowadays. That is scary, in many ways...and utterly amazing, when it all is used for good purposes.

I love the knowledge my computer helps me to attain...just love it. I have always been a voracious reader. I still love to read, but the net gives me instant access to any subject...and it's cheaper.

I think my core values are somewhat closer to the 50's...have been for a long time. It's just that younger people see so much and the role models that they seek to emulate are not role models at all. That sense of innocence has vanished. The moral compass has veered off. That all makes me sad...BUT, I sense it is being renewed lately. The Tea Party is taking a stand in our country and they are talking about going back in time a little. The church is being talked about more than I have personally heard in quite a while...unless you count Oprah's New Age Movement. I'd rather not, because her show influenced me in a very negative way, when it comes to God.

The times we face now, must surely send people looking for help from above. Don't you sense that a corner is being turned recently? I feel optimistic about the future of the church. I hope you do, too.

Anonymous said...

BTW...I will be praying for you again. I know you work so hard and juggle a lot of balls in the air. Take care of yourself, PK.

Pastor Bob said...

I agree. This discontinuous change is challenging yet offers great opportunities.

Anonymous said...

I agree. This discontinuous change is challenging yet offers great opportunities.