Tuesday, August 24, 2010

SMALL GROUP

There is a theology out there that claims the Christian life is one silver-lined cloud after another - just constantly soaring. It isn’t. Sometimes the Christian life is a dark cave. The making of a saint takes a lifetime. You may be the lowest you’ve ever been right now, but God is going to have the final word in your story. God is not going to give up on you - and neither are we.


This is one of the reasons I’m so adamant about small groups at KFA. It isn’t the only function of small groups -- but sometimes we just need a refuge. That’s one of the many things I believe small groups can provide.

I’ve heard people say, “Small groups aren’t for everybody.” I don’t believe that for a second. We are made for community. You just haven’t found the right small group that works for you yet -- and you need to keep trying until you do.


An author by the name of Chuck Swindoll talks about a buddy of his who became a believer a few years after being discharged from the Marine Corps. Chuck was shocked when he heard of the guy’s conversion because he was one of those people you almost never picture being interested in God. He cursed, he got drunk, he chased women, he gambled. The only time he used the names ‘God’ or ‘Jesus’ was when he was mad.


But he came to Christ one day and not long after, Chuck ran into him. As the conversation turned to the man’s new salvation, he looked Chuck in the eye and said: ‘Chuck, the only thing I really miss is the old times the guys in our outfit used to have down at the base tavern. We’d sit around, tell stories, laugh, drink a few beers - man, it was great.’ Then he paused. ‘I just haven’t found anything in the church to take the place of that great time we used to have. I don’t have anybody to admit my faults to. I don’t have anybody to put their arm around me and tell me I’m still OK the way those guys did for me.’

And that makes my stomach turn. Not because I’m so shocked, but because I think I have to agree. The man needed a refuge - a safe place just to be heard.


There is a book called, “The Edge of Adventure,” and it reads:

“The neighborhood bar is possibly the best counterfeit there is to the fellowship Christ wants to give His church. It’s an imitation though, dispensing liquor instead of grace, escape rather than answers. It is an unshockable fellowship. You can tell people secrets and they don’t even want to tell anyone else. The bar flourishes not because most people are alcoholics, but because God has put into the human heart the desire to know and be known, to love and be loved, and so many seek a counterfeit at the price of a few beers.”


With all my heart I believe God wants His church to be a fellowship where people can come in and say, ‘I’m sunk. I’m beat. I’m done. I’ve had it.’ That’s why we push small groups so strongly at KFA - because sometimes ... you need a shelter ... you need someone to put an arm around you when you’re hurting ... you need a listening ear and some good counsel that small group settings can provide.


Our new small-group-tied-in-message-series called "FLAVOR" begins in 2 weeks. Don't miss it - and don't miss getting in a small group.


And be blessed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

To be sure, our small group shares hard time, but for the most part, we are happy and striving to know God more deeply. I am, so blessed to there with such committed Christians, who encourange me stay the course...and of course, I love them. They are fabulous people. With this new study on Flavor, would love to see new members, too!

Cherlyn said...

PK...Yes a "refuge". Pastor Dan said he wanted our church to be know as a people of encouragement. I think we can add..and a people that bring the water of relief and refuge from the harsh task master of the world. A shade tree for the weary. That is our flavor. Bring fresh cool water to the burning hearts that are plummeled, stressed and overburdened by darkness and deception...the prince of this world.