Saturday, August 28, 2010

BYE


It's bittersweet today. Saying 'goodbye' to our youngest daughter as she leaves for North Central University for her sophomore year tomorrow. It's a lot different than last year - for all of us - but it's still sad seeing her go. Very proud of the young woman she is turning into.

She's taking her car this year which is a whole new set of 'fingernail biters,' but I know she'll be fine. We got her a GPS as a way of saying, 'Way to go ... you're going to be OK.' She is, right? Going to be OK, I mean?

As a way of celebrating tonight, we roasted hotdogs outside over a fire pit. It was something we've been wanting to do all summer but we waited till the final night together to do it. I found some sticks in our woods and we did it the old-fashioned, primitive way. Two of the hotdogs fell into the ashes during the cooking but I was able to at least grab one of them really fast. One got totally charred and when we pulled it out of the fire, most of the stick broke off except for the little part stuck in the dog, one broke in half but we able to salvage it and two others fell into the grass as we were removing them from the fire. I wiped them off on my shorts so it's all good. Does it get any better?

The picture above is of the surviving dogs, including the one that dropped into the ashes. One of us ended up consuming it. We're not sure who. I think it was me.

Cough.

And be blessed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's always hard to say goodbye to your kids. There are special times at each stage of their lives, but I LOVE relating to my kids as adults! They are so interesting and intelligent and funny. You have a fabulous family, as well...it is so great to see our children as autonomous adults and to feel that swell of pride.

She will be just fine! Have a great year, Olivia!

mprybylski said...

Sometimes I think that time is like being on a fast train. We went to Lincoln Park Zoo in Chicago a few weeks ago, and as about 20 of my family members rode on the train I tried with great effort to look out the window in order to see if I could see the beautiful summer scenery. I had no problem staring at birds flying in the distance, a boat far off on Lake Michigan, beautiful houses on top of green hills over the horizon. Indeed I could still see those peaceful images in my mind. When I tried to see something closer, something else that peeked my interest, my eyes were strained, and my head turned to the other side of the window because of how fast the train moved. These objects just blurred by, and I had to come up with a explanation in my mind of what I had seen. Could have been a deer, I thought, could have been a person, maybe a squirrel. I am not sure? Far off in the distance I could still see my youngest son looking at me as I held him close and sang to him. Far off in the distance I could see my oldest son as I carried him to the store on our quest for candy. What a blur when I look at them, a 7th grader, a Pre Kindergardener. What a blur when we look at our children going to college, highschool, buying their first home, what a blur. Thank God for the ability to write, and cameras for pictures so that we may remember and we can truly see that God has made everything beautiful for its time. (Ecclesiastes 3:11)



Grace and Peace!

mprybylski said...

Sometimes I think that time is like being on a fast train. We went to Lincoln Park Zoo a few weeks ago, and as about 20 of my family members rode on the train I tried with great effort to look out the window in order to see if I could see the beautiful summer scenery. I had no problem staring at birds flying in the distance, a boat far off on Lake Michigan, beautiful houses on top of green hills over the horizon. Indeed I could still see those images in my mind. When I tried to see something closer, something else that peeked my interest, my eyes were strained, and my head turned to the other side of the window because of how fast the train moved. These objects just blurred by, and I had to come up with a interpretation of what I had seen. Could have been a deer, I thought, could have been a person, maybe a squirrel. I am not sure? Far off in the distance I could still see my youngest son looking at me as I held him close and sang to him. Far off in the distance I could see my oldest son as I carried him to the store on our quest for candy. What a blur when I look at them, a 7th grader, a Pre Kindergardener. What a blur when we look at our children. Thank God for the ability to write, and cameras for pictures so that we may remember. We can truly see that God has made everything beautiful in its time.

Thank you,
Have a great year...

Anonymous said...

mprybylski,

I love your posts! I can most certainly see that you are a writer...by nature. I post on here often, but it is wonderful to see someone else with such a way with words. You bring so much to the table! :)