Wednesday, August 4, 2010

BICEPS


A few years ago Dove soap launched an ad campaign featuring a split-screen of a model's face. It was a 'before' and 'after' shot. "Before," meaning - before make-up, hair and post-production re-touching and re-re-touching. The extent of the re-touching on the 'after' shot was astonishing. The model didn't just reflect smoother cheeks and flawless skin tone. The size of her eyes was increased. Her neck was lengthened. Her limps plumped up. Her jawline completely modified. It wasn't really even the same woman. I'm not sure she would have recognized herself in the 'after' shot.

I will confess of late to having a pre-occupation with myself -- maybe it's what happens when you hit the '50' mark, I don't know. Several on our staff are big work-out guys and we have a lot of fun kidding each other, talking P90X and comparing 'muscles.' I can't keep up and I need to stop trying.

Image has gotten out of hand. It teaches us to scrutinize ourselves and others. Thinning hair, splotchy skin, love handles, stretch marks, graying hair and wrinkles become sources of pre-occupation, depression and great effort.

The funny thing is, Jesus never talked much about thick hair, ripped abs, youthful skin, bulging biceps or sexy legs. Paul never mentioned any of them either. They're not in the listing of the Fruit of the Spirit. I'll check again when I'm thru here, but I'm pretty sure they're not in there. And yet, our energetic passion and pursuit of everything on the surface seems to declare otherwise.

Think back to the last time you looked at a photograph of yourself in a group of people. What was the first thing you looked at? It wasn't the other people. It was you. And the scrutiny begins. "What are the other people in this picture thinking about me when they look at it?" Not really much need to worry about that too much. The other people in the picture aren't looking at you.

Maybe God was on to something when He commanded His people not to make graven images.

And be blessed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

First off...that photo is gross! A little muscle is fine, but that is way too much. To each his own.

Second...yes I am self-critical of my pics. To the point that I avoid them as much a possible...lol. Seriously though, I like myself inside. I'm not sure how it is for you, we all have different baggage, but as I have gotten older, I have become more self-assured. I am all about the inner self. I still maintain that Mother Teresa was more beautiful than Marilyn Monroe. Sigh....ok, I am dating myself. :)

You are perfect just the way you are....great qualities, flaws and all. No one else can be a more perfect you, than you are.

I will say it again. I lived in CA for 20 years and the stars don't even look or act like the stars...truly. It is a facade designed to take your money. For anyone who is enamored by it all...don't be. They are people, just like you. Honestly.