Sunday, July 11, 2010

UP


Today began the first of 3 weeks in our series,
"At The Movies." The series seeks to connect strong spiritual truths with what is happening in the entertainment of our culture.

What are the writers writing about and why?
What does God have to say about all of it?
Can any of it be redeemed?

Our first installment utilized the animated movie, "UP." It was also one of the two weekends every year that families are given special invitation to sit together at KFA with no children's services offered. So it was a great day to enjoy the "UP" theme together.

One thing we all have in common - every one of us has dreams - and every dream is in the direction of UP. No dreams are DOWN.

And the awesome thing is ... the ability to dream comes from UP - because it is God-given. Every great achievement that’s ever been done has been accomplished because somebody had a dream. Nothing starts happening until somebody begins dreaming.

One of the problems with dreams, however, is that when you get into life or business or marriage or anything … you start off with this big dream but very often, circumstances and situations cause the dream to shrivel and fade.


The Bible says we were created in the image of God. I'm just beginning to grasp the fringes of what that means after all these years ... that the God of creation - the God of the universe - sculpted you in your mother’s womb. And inside you He tenderly laid a dream and vision that would take your whole life to fulfill. God has woven within you and me the threads of greatness and significance. God has created works “IN ADVANCE” for you to do. So ... periodically ... we need to be taught how to re-dream.


I have a dream for our church … it’s not from some book or the latests conference; it is God-given.

It is a dream of sharing the good news of Jesus Christ with thousands of people in Wisconsin and Illinois …

It is a dream of seeing 200 small groups connecting people together weekly …

It is a dream of educating college-aged students and sending them out all over our city and region to do Kingdom work ...

It is a dream of more fully supporting workers and missionaries in the 10/40 window with all our resources ...

It is a dream of burning our church mortgage so other real ministry can take place ...

It is a dream of seeing someone in each of our spheres of influence come to faith by December ...

It is a dream of going into our community to help educate, resource, bless hundreds of people who are hungry, impoverished, in need and illiterate ...

It is a dream of seeing 1,200 KFA-ers serving to help the Kingdom move forward ...

It is a dream of filling both our church auditoriums on Saturday nights and Sundays with believers and new people coming to faith ...

It is a dream of planting churches at the harbor and in Lake Geneva and in Racine and in Northern Illinois or wherever God would lead us to do it.


And I’m confident that these dreams will be realized. Why? Because God gave them to me. I don’t know all the timing … I don’t know how it’s all going to happen ... I don’t know how long it will take … but I’ve never doubted the dream would come true – because it’s not from me. It’s from God. I have faith it will happen. Believe and dream with me.


And be blessed.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you have lots of clips and props this time, too? I am SO sorry I couldn't be there. Trying to decide if I should swing by and buy the dvd or just listen online. I hate missing your sermons.

PK's BLOG said...

It was a pretty big prop day actually. It's not the same without viewing the clips on this one with the dvd. I'd skip online and get the dvd.

Anonymous said...

Spoken like a true salesman! lol....Seriously, I like Seeing it not just hearing it. I will be there in the AM. In the last 3 years, I think I have only missed about 3 of your sermons. I don't like it.

Anonymous said...

Do I get a balloon with the dvd, too???? I love letting them go out into the stratosphere. Reminds me of dreams when I could fly....very cool. :)

Anonymous said...

Well, PK, I just watched the dvd. It was a good sermon and the subject of the movie was more interesting than I anticipated for animation.

I have one dream that seems to pushing in the back of mind more and more. I want to find the right man and get married, so I have someone special to share my life with. I'm not sure if that is God's dream for me or just my own. :)

You sermon makes me aware yet again that I don't have many dreams. I don't have a 5 yr plan, 10 yr plan....or even a 1 yr plan. Nothing concrete that I am striving for.

My true dreams are more ethereal and a little fluid....kind of to make this world a better place. To help in whatever way I can for people to love and care for one another. To be happy and in turn share that with each person I meet. To do some sort of missions work at some point....even if it is stateside. To help the poor and homeless...they have my heart.

I loved that you mentioned Mother Teresa and MLK...they both are such inspirations...and Ghandi and Lincoln, too. Those are some of my heroes throughout my life.

Anonymous said...

Want to know something that is personal, but true, and yet childish in some ways? I always admired Lincoln and I used to imagine what it would be like to climb up on his lap at the Lincoln Memorial, lay my head on his shoulder and tell him my troubles...as if he were my father. That is a fantasy from my younger years that I remember having often. I am a big kid at heart in some ways....and some other ways I have a good head on my shoulders.

I wish my Dad had been there more when I was growing up, but that's what divorce does.