Sunday, July 25, 2010

STEAL

It was the most exciting thing today to baptize over sixty people in water at Lake Andrea. The stories of transformational life change just kept coming one after the other today. Love that.

These are all people who have taken back what the enemy has tried to steal from them. In John 10:10, Jesus said: "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy, but I have come that you may have life and have it to the full."

When Jesus says ‘the thief,’ he’s talking about our enemy, the devil. And the truth is, I believe the devil has an actual strategy of theft for each of us. His first move in your life is just petty larceny. But once he manages that, he moves to something bigger - grand larceny - personal assault - rape - then to actual killing, and sometimes to mass destruction. But it all begins with stealing.


And I think, in many of our lives, there was a time we loved Jesus more than we do today. Our appetite for His Word was voracious. Our love for church and for serving - enthusiastic. Our eagerness for spreading the Gospel - unquenchable. And I’m just asking, 'How is it now?' Sure, we still love God. But what happened to all that energy and passion?


We got ripped off.


How about the unique calling that rests on every believer’s life? Years ago God gave you a dream about what He wanted to do in your life. He wanted you to teach. He wanted you to sing. He wanted you to stand in the gap for another person; to be an intercessor. There was a pull toward the mission field.


But then ... you got discouraged. Somebody let you down. Something went wrong with somebody or something. Someone you deeply trusted failed you. Someone sharply criticized what you said or did. Life got in the way. Soon the dream faded and the calling didn’t feel so real anymore.


We need to be honest and admit what really happened. There is no point in conning ourselves. We have been burglarized by the master thief. The devil is always trying to rob us of something God intended to bless us with.


The latest surveys show the divorce rate among churchgoers is just as high as it is in the general population. If I were an atheist or an agnostic, I’d ask: 'How come your Jesus can't keep you two together? I thought you said He was so wonderful ... "


Are Christian couples breaking up because they shouldn’t have gotten married in the first place? Is it because they came from homes with poor role models? There is MORE to it than that. The thief comes to steal ...


These are the realities of spiritual warfare. Only faith in Christ and His power can give us victory over Satan’s destructive plans. Every day of your life there is a fight for your allegiance. The enemy tries to steal the Word right out of your heart ... tries to kill your faith. You never hear of a thief who makes off with four dishtowels and a tube of toothpaste. He’s looking to find what is precious and steal that.


Jesus, on the other hand is the exact opposite of a thief -- He is an anti-thief. He doesn’t come to steal, but to bless and give. He doesn’t break into anyone’s life; He patiently stands at the door and knocks. If invited in, He walks through the house placing precious objects on mantels and shelves and in the cupboards of your life. He fills you up with everything life is worth living for.


And be blessed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"But then ... you got discouraged. Somebody let you down. Something went wrong with somebody or something. Someone you deeply trusted failed you. Someone sharply criticized what you said or did. Life got in the way. Soon the dream faded and the calling didn’t feel so real anymore."

This is exactly what happened for me. I know I could take the totally easy way out and yes, it was all the enemy, but I think that would be a lie.

It was a combination of human factors and changes in friendship....AND the enemy...AND my own decisions as a result. The more times I chose to miss church and sleep in, the easier it gets. The more I choose to spend time with unsaved friends, the easier it gets.

I do still love God...but not as certain about the church community. I like it just fine, but I used to love it.

Oh well, I am not giving up on Jesus, so I am sure in time I will find my niche again.

Anonymous said...

I'm just curious, what part does personal responsibility and free will play? I do believe in spiritual warfare, but I know in my heart that I am making my own choices as well. I do think that the devil is trying to invade my heart and how I feel about the Lord and the church....but if my faith and love were stronger, then I would be obedient, no matter how I felt. I have to admit....I have always been swayed by my emotions as my true compass. It is hard to change that after all of tis time, though.

PK's BLOG said...

The devil is always trying to invade faith. Even those with stronger faith have to rely on their obedience. Pushing thru the feelings and simply obeying is something God will reward eventually.